Entlib 4.0 binaries and <3.1 samples

Topics: General discussion
Jun 22, 2008 at 9:06 PM
How can I exploit the plethora of Entlib's previous version samples, if I have installed v4.0 binaries only? I'm not that used to the compilation procedure of the Entlib solution files (.sln) and I use Visual Web Developer 2008.
Jun 23, 2008 at 1:14 PM
You will probably need to update the sample project files to reference to the new binary path and version/key, either by removing and re-adding the references or manually updating the project files (csproj and vbproj) with an XML editor. You will also need to update assembly qualified type names in the configuration files, including version numbers and public key tokens. Finally, you may need to adjust the code to some minor API changes (like the change from CacheManager to ICacheManager in the caching block).

Sln files are specific to EntLib, they are defined by Visual Studio. If you only have the binaries, you won't need to deal with EntLib's own sln files.

I'm not familiar with Visual Wev Developer 2008 to tell if there's some tool-specific change to consider.

Fernando

iordanis wrote:
How can I exploit the plethora of Entlib's previous version samples, if I have installed v4.0 binaries only? I'm not that used to the compilation procedure of the Entlib solution files (.sln) and I use Visual Web Developer 2008.

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:08 PM
What I also need is to include some Entlib Contributions into my project, like the AuthenticatingEmailTraceListener because it uses username and password, which Entlib4.0 still DOES NOT offer. BTW why ???. The problem is that most contributions where compiled in <3.1 version, so I cannot use or even configure them. The Config console displays a message and quits. What can I do?