Logging Quick Start App.config problems

Topics: Logging Application Block
May 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM
I install EL4, run the Logging quick start all is good.   I open the App.config from the EL Configuration tool, do NOTHING except hit the save button and it breaks the quick start.

I get:
An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for loggingConfiguration:  Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'

I make NO CHANGES, just hit the save button and it breaks the quick start app.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
May 30, 2008 at 7:52 PM

Hi,

You would get this behavior if you've changed the configuration set property in the quickstart's solution to use the signed binaries. The types in the quick start's configuration files have partial type names so they can be opened with both the signed and the unsigned versions, but once you save the configuration file the full type names matching the version you've used are written. I'm assuming you're using the quickstart at C:\EntLib4Src\Quick Starts\Logging\CS\LoggingQuickStart.sln.

Fernando

BitReaver wrote:
I install EL4, run the Logging quick start all is good.   I open the App.config from the EL Configuration tool, do NOTHING except hit the save button and it breaks the quick start.

I get:
An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for loggingConfiguration:  Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'

I make NO CHANGES, just hit the save button and it breaks the quick start app.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

May 30, 2008 at 9:57 PM
Hi,

Yes I am indeed using the quickstart you mentioned.  If I use the binaries that are in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.0 - May 2008\Bin directory it all works, but I can't debug into the logging project.  Do you (or anyone) know of a way I can continue to have the logging project inside the QuickStart solution as well as allowing the Logging QuickStart app actually running?   Perhaps write my own test app, not sure if that will solve it either.

Thanks again.

fsimonazzi wrote:

Hi,

You would get this behavior if you've changed the configuration set property in the quickstart's solution to use the signed binaries. The types in the quick start's configuration files have partial type names so they can be opened with both the signed and the unsigned versions, but once you save the configuration file the full type names matching the version you've used are written. I'm assuming you're using the quickstart at C:\EntLib4Src\Quick Starts\Logging\CS\LoggingQuickStart.sln.

Fernando

BitReaver wrote:

I get:

Thanks

May 30, 2008 at 11:44 PM
Hi,

You can grab the PDB files for the signed binaries from https://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=entlib&ReleaseId=13498 and when you need to locate the source code you point to the location where you installed the source code MSI.

Fernando

BitReaver wrote:
Hi,

Yes I am indeed using the quickstart you mentioned.  If I use the binaries that are in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.0 - May 2008\Bin directory it all works, but I can't debug into the logging project.  Do you (or anyone) know of a way I can continue to have the logging project inside the QuickStart solution as well as allowing the Logging QuickStart app actually running?   Perhaps write my own test app, not sure if that will solve it either.

Thanks again.

fsimonazzi wrote:

Hi,

Fernando

BitReaver wrote:

I get:

Thanks

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:25 PM
Fernando,

I am not sure what you mean when you say "when you need to locate the source code you point to the location...."

I have downloaded the pdb files and put them in with the binaries from the EL installation.  I am obviously not all that familiar with the VS 2008 IDE.

Thanks,

Mike

fsimonazzi wrote:
Hi,

You can grab the PDB files for the signed binaries from https://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=entlib&ReleaseId=13498 and when you need to locate the source code you point to the location where you installed the source code MSI.

Fernando

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:55 PM
Fernando,

I am not sure what you mean when you say "when you need to locate the source code you point to the location...."

I have downloaded the pdb files and put them in with the binaries from the EL installation.  I am obviously not all that familiar with the VS 2008 IDE.

Thanks,

Mike

fsimonazzi wrote:
Hi,

Fernando