Transient Fault Handling Framework and Azure caching

Topics: Windows Azure Integration Pack
Jan 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Hi,

I'm using the "Transient fault handling framework" with SQL Azure for several weeks and I have a question on the other possibilities...

This framework contains a part based on the Windows Azure caching capabilities but I can't find some information.

My only use of the cache of Azure is in a ASP.NET MVC 3 project. Some actions have an attribute like this:

[OutputCache(Duration = 864000, VaryByParam = "lang", VaryByCustom = "gzip;homestaticfilesversion;country", Location = OutputCacheLocation.Server)]

Using the Caching of Azure is very simple (when we create a new cache, the Azure portal gives the config lines) but I wonder if I should also use the framework here... And if I have to use the Transient fault handling framework for the cache of my project, where do I find information?

Thanks in advance,

Denis

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM

If you are asking if you should use the Transient Fault Handling Application Block to configure retry policies for the OutputCache then the answer is no: caching retry policies will not be applied to the OutputCache.  

The DistributedCacheOutputCacheProvider (ASP.NET Output Cache Provider for Windows Azure) already provides a retryInterval and a retryCount configuration settings.  If you wanted to take advantage of the more advanced retry policies in The Transient Fault Handling Appplication Block you would have to create a custom OutputCacheProvider that uses the block and integrates with the Azure Cache.  Of course, you would only want to do this in the scenario where the default retryInterval and retryCount do not meet your needs.

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com 

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:42 AM

I did not know this was already handled!

Thank you for this useful information, I don't have to change anything in my code!

Windows Azure is so good...