ExceptionHandlingWithLoggingQuickStart on Vista

Topics: Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
May 22, 2008 at 3:06 PM
I am using EntLib4 and ExceptionHandlingWithLoggingQuickStart on Vista and XP and getting different results. On XP, the app writes data to the application event log properly, but on Vista, nothing get written to the app event log. Any ideas?
May 22, 2008 at 5:02 PM
Hi,

My guess is that Vista's UAC is causing this. Have you explicitly installed EntLib's instrumentation? If you haven't, but you run with an admin user in XP, you will still be able to create the Logging Block's default EventLog source on demand; however unless you explicitly "Run As Administrator" in Vista your process will not have the necessary permissions to update the registry.

Either run the "Install Services" script as an admin (preferred), or run the QS app itself as admin (less desirable).

Hope this helps,
Fernando

kshank wrote:
I am using EntLib4 and ExceptionHandlingWithLoggingQuickStart on Vista and XP and getting different results. On XP, the app writes data to the application event log properly, but on Vista, nothing get written to the app event log. Any ideas?

May 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM
Fernando:

Thank you very much for your advice. I had not installed EntLibs instrumentation. I tried running the app as an Administrator and it was able to write to the event log. Next I installed the instrumentation as you suggested and everything worked exactly as I expected. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

Kevin