Newbie seeking advice on entlib and vs2008

Topics: Data Access Application Block
May 16, 2008 at 11:22 PM
I guys.
I'v got my hands on the book apress the defenitive guide to microsoft enterprise library as I am planing to use it on a new project and I have 2 main questions.

The deal is they recomend instaling:
NUnit
Guidance Automation Instructions
Entlib
Web Services Software Factory

Well, the problem is its all for vs2005 and Im using vs2008. So I should I go about it ? I have downloaded entlib 4.0 but it only shows source code to install and the Guidance Automation Instructions
and Web Services Software Factory how will it work out ?

The other issue pends with the using of the data block. Im used to php but decided to shift to asp since its a bigger project. I have read some articles about using lightweight collections to transpor the data to the buisness logic instead of datasets. Could you guys give me roughdown on how to use them both and advantages, just some starters nothing fancy.

Thank you all in advance.
May 19, 2008 at 2:42 AM

The tools you asked about...

Some tools you didn't ask about...

• LINQ to SQL - can create entity objects for you and dynamically generate SQL statements. Also check out LINQPad
  • Repository Factory - The Repository Factory is a guidance package that automates creation of entity classes that map to database tables and repository classes to read and write those entity classes
  • Web Client Software Factory - The Web Client Software Factory (WCSF) provides a set of guidance for architects and developers building enterprise Web applications.
  • NHibernate - I have not used, but is very well known and respected (does not use Ent Lib)
  • xUnit.net - a new alternative to nunit

Some other recommended tools...

• ReSharper - Currently version 4 is under development but the nightly builds are pretty stable. After using ReSharper for a while, you may wonder how you survived before without it

• NDepend - As your project grows, you may need better handle on dependencies and stuff - watch the videos on their site for a taste of the tools features

• ANTS Profiler - You may think you know where the slow or memory hog parts of the code are, but you may be surpised to know the truth!

I would definately avoid using datasets if you can.  I like how WSSF lays out it's projects for various tiers, but found I was fighting with it to generate my 'on the wire' representations the way I wanted. Personally, I found it easier to hand bomb my data contract types.

Mephist wrote:
    I guys.
    I'v got my hands on the book apress the defenitive guide to microsoft enterprise library as I am planing to use it on a new project and I have 2 main questions.

The deal is they recomend instaling:
    NUnit
    Guidance Automation Instructions
    Entlib
    Web Services Software Factory

Well, the problem is its all for vs2005 and Im using vs2008. So I should I go about it ? I have downloaded entlib 4.0 but it only shows source code to install and the Guidance Automation Instructions
    and Web Services Software Factory how will it work out ?

The other issue pends with the using of the data block. Im used to php but decided to shift to asp since its a bigger project. I have read some articles about using lightweight collections to transpor the data to the buisness logic instead of datasets. Could you guys give me roughdown on how to use them both and advantages, just some starters nothing fancy.

Thank you all in advance.

May 19, 2008 at 10:50 PM
Now that is one hell of a good responce pbolduc.

Thank you so much for helping me out. I will give all the tools mentioned a very good look.