How to launch EnterpriseLibrary.Config for Silverlight

Topics: Silverlight Integration Pack
Oct 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I have installed the VS 2010 extension for EnterpriseLibrary.Config as I would like to use the configuration tool to configure EL for Silverlight (the Silverlight Integration Pack).  However, I can't find a way to launch EnterpriseLibrary.Config.  (Note: My company is still on Win XP Pro 64-bit boxes. :( )

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:37 AM

If you have Enterprise Library Option Update 1, Silverlight Integration Pack, and the Config Console plugin installed it should show up when you right click a .config file. You should see the option to Edit Silverlight configuration file when you click on .config files other than Web.config, which will start the configuration console in the Silverlight profile. 

If you don't see the menu option then I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the above (and install in the order given above). 

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Thanks, Randy.  I wasn't aware of the EL Optional Update 1.  After learning about that from your post, I performed the following:

- Installed EL 5.0 Optional Update 1 (using command line tool to replace existing EL 5.0 instance)
  - Re-installed the EL 5.0 Silverlight Integration Pack
  - Re-installed EnterpriseLibrary.Config tool via Visual Studio 2010 Extension Manager (using the NuGet package)
  - Fixed up existing config files that were created with original EL 5.0 (the assembly version numbers changed from 5.0.414.0 to 5.0.505.0)

At this point, when I right-click on a .config file, I can see the context menu items:

- "Edit Server configuration file"

- "Edit Silverlight configuration file"

When I select either of those two menu items, I receive the following error message:
  - "Error launching the configuration console.  Could not locate the Enterprise Library binaries required to launch the configuration console.
     Either use NuGet to add references to the application blocks or set a value for the 'Enterprise Library binaries paths" property on the solution
     to indicate the location of the binaries."

I'm now trying to resolve that error, but haven't been successful yet.  Any tips will be helpful.

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Update...

I went back and uninstalled everything related to EL, and then re-installed in the following order:

• EL 5.0 Optional Update 1
  • EL 5.0 Silverlight Integration Pack
  • EnterpriseLibrary.Config tool (using NuGet package from within VS 2010)

Now, I can run the "EntLib Config for Silverlight" tool when launching from the Windows 'Programs' menu; however, I still have the same problem ("Error launching the configuration console...") when attempting to launch from the context menu from within VS.

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM
Edited Oct 30, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Hi Tom,

I see the same error message.  Here is how to get it working: one without the Visual Studio Extension and one with it.  

You can uninstall the Visual Studio Extension and instead of "Adding Reference" to the Enterprise Libraries assemblies you can add the blocks you want from NuGet.  You don't need to add EnterpriseLibrary.Config -- it should be all taken care of for your.  If you do that then the config tool should just work.

Or if you want to use the Visual Studio Extension then you need to modify the solution file.  Open the solution file in a text editor and add the following:

GlobalSection(ExtensibilityGlobals) = postSolution
		EnterpriseLibraryConfigurationToolBinariesPath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 5.0\Bin
	EndGlobalSection

Of course, you will need to substitute the path to the Enterprise Library assemblies if your location is not C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 5.0\Bin.

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com