Configuration block for multiple config files

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
May 13, 2008 at 6:46 PM
We are building a desktop application in .Net 3.5 and wanted to use EntLib for managing the configuration information.  We will have two configurations - one that will sit on the app server side containing information applicable to all users.  Other config will have user specific information such as current application settings.  How can you use the configuration block within Enterprise Library for communicating between two config files and also managing/updating the client specific information within the desktop .config file?  A sample would be great if you can provide.
May 13, 2008 at 10:17 PM
Hi,

What do you mean by "communicating between two config files"? Unless you need to target different sources of configuration, you may want to consider the Application Settings functionallity from the .NET framework; these already handle per-user settings, something the config support from EntLib doesn't handle, and the design time tools generate classes to make it easier to deal with them.

Hope this helps,
Fernando

BryanBurgess wrote:
We are building a desktop application in .Net 3.5 and wanted to use EntLib for managing the configuration information.  We will have two configurations - one that will sit on the app server side containing information applicable to all users.  Other config will have user specific information such as current application settings.  How can you use the configuration block within Enterprise Library for communicating between two config files and also managing/updating the client specific information within the desktop .config file?  A sample would be great if you can provide.

May 14, 2008 at 3:47 PM
what I mean is I want to have a client side config file that can retrieve information from a configuraiton file sitting on the application server.  I have several information that will sit on application server side that the client side application will need to run.  For instance the url endpoints in the serverice layer of app.  However I do not want to put those on the client side because if the information changes then I have to push out new configuration file to all client machines.
May 14, 2008 at 6:45 PM
Hi,

EntLib's configuration support will not help you here. Would an application deployment technology like ClickOnce, or SMS on a larger scale, work for you? These tools would push configuration to the clients for you...

Fernando

BryanBurgess wrote:
what I mean is I want to have a client side config file that can retrieve information from a configuraiton file sitting on the application server.  I have several information that will sit on application server side that the client side application will need to run.  For instance the url endpoints in the serverice layer of app.  However I do not want to put those on the client side because if the information changes then I have to push out new configuration file to all client machines.