CustomTraceListener unresolved

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Enterprise Library Core, Logging Application Block
Aug 31, 2011 at 4:41 PM

im new to Enterprise Library (5, with the optional update), and am trying to use my own CustomTraceListener with the Logging Block.

Logging works with a supplied flat file listener, but i dont seem to be able to extend that to my custom class.

Logs to FlatFileListener, but Not to my CustomListener:

static UnityContainer _container;

static LogWriter _writer;

internal static void Inf(this string message)

{

if (_container == null)

{
            _container
= new UnityContainer();
            _container
.AddNewExtension<EnterpriseLibraryCoreExtension>();

}

if (_writer == null && _container != null)

{
            _writer
= _container.Resolve<LogWriter>();

LogEntry log = new LogEntry();
            log
.Message = message;
            log
.Categories.Add("Information");
            log
.Severity = TraceEventType.Information;
            _writer
.Write(log);

}

}

My CustomListener based on bychkov:

namespace Test.Catch
{

[ConfigurationElementType(typeof(CustomTraceListenerData))]

public class LoggerCustom : CustomTraceListener

{

public override void TraceData(TraceEventCache eventCache, string source, TraceEventType eventType, int id, object data)

{

if (data is LogEntry && this.Formatter != null)

{

this.WriteLine(this.Formatter.Format(data as LogEntry));

} else

{

this.WriteLine(data.ToString());

}

}

public override void Write(string message)

{

Trace.Write(message);

}

public override void WriteLine(string message)

{

Trace.WriteLine(message);

}

}
}

First i tried to add the customtracelistener with the Configuration Editor, but the configuration editor did not list/detect any customtracelisteners, which i suspect is part, or whole of the problem?

So instead, i added the following, again, based on bychkov:

app.config listener manual addition

<add listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.CustomTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.505.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
  type
="Test.Catch.LoggerCustom, Test.Catch" traceOutputOptions="None"
  name
="Custom Trace Listene      <!--      <add listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.CustomTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.505.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"-->

<!--        type="Edonics.Catch.LoggerCustom, Edonics.Catch" traceOutputOptions="None"-->

<!--        name="Custom Trace Listener" initializeData="" formatter="Text Formatter Plain" />-->r" initializeData="" formatter="Text Formatter Plain" />

Now when I call Inf("logme"), with the above app.config addition included, then an exception is thrown at _container.AddNewExtension(): The type 'Test.Catch.LoggerCustom, Test.Catch' cannot be resolved.

Given I dont understand the underlying mechanisms, how could i get to logging with my custom listener?

1. Do i need to create my own TraceListenerData, like the Tavares solution ?

2. Or do i need to understand and mess with UnityDefaultBehaviorExtension, as detailed by MacLeod ?

3. Is the existing code wrong?

4. Or the solution lies elsewhere?

Thank you for your expertise.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:45 PM

sorry it shoudl have been:

app.config listener manual addition

<add listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.CustomTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.505.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
  type
="Test.Catch.LoggerCustom, Test.Catch" traceOutputOptions="None"
  name
="Custom Trace Listener" initializeData="" formatter="Text Formatter Plain" />
Sep 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

got an answer to the question here, from Chris Tavares, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7259951/entlib-customtracelistener-unresolved/7261057

which lead to another issue, unfortunatly, as detailed here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7282671/entlib-invalid-tracelistenerdata-type

any chance i could get guidance on that?