DAAB 5 && Oracle help badly needed!

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Jul 20, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Hi all,

I am a new user of enterprise library... Until now I am happy with it..

My only worry is the lack of examples/tutorial on the net. Yes there is the book, but don't cover all the needs. version 5 looks not very used out there...

One of the challenge i am facing now is to usa DAAB with Oracle (I have both 9.2 & 11), I get errors. I have followed some tutorial (for v.4.1) and still got problems.

Someone can help me with a step - by step tutorial? It should be quick.

I use .Net 3.5, C#, Asp.Net, EL 5, Oracle 9.2/11

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Hi,

Personally, its hard to find a good sample on this one with Microsoft's Oracle Client Library (“System.Data.OracleClient“). Anyway, have you explored using ODP.NET as found on this link? Hope this helps.

Noel Angelo Bolasoc
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
Contact Us

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:48 AM

yes I did. I think that link is a little bit outdated (4.1?) especially not very clear on code like this:

public abstract class DataBase

02 {
03     protected Database DB
04     {
05         get
06         {
07             return DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase();
08         }
09     }
10 }
Why I have to do those steps? are always necessary...
However I managed to connect to the database,  somehow. (with oracle v11, using the oracle provvider)
Thank you.
Jul 20, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Yes, I guess its written in 4.1 but it can still work with 5.0. With the DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase(), its a static facade method that always been a part of the Enterprise Library Data Access Application Block until I guess version 4.1. It hands out a database instance that comes from your configuration settings. With Entlib 5.0, Service Locator is introduced as another way to create an instance.

Noel Angelo Bolasoc
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
Contact Us