Enterprise Library 5 Configuration option missing in VS 2010

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, General discussion
Apr 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM

hello,

I have VS 2010 premium 64bit running on windows 7 professional SP-1.  I have worked with the logging application block on a separate solution, but now have checked out a new solution from TFS that uses Enterprise Library and when I right-click on the web.config file, I dont see the option to use the EL configuration tool.  This is the first app I am checking out with references to EL established.  What am I doing wrong?

TIA!

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Does it previously have that option before? That's regardless whether the config resides on a source control or not. 

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:12 AM

thank you for your reply.  I didnt notice its presence or absence before because I was using the config tool to run the logging app block directly, through their examples.  As such, it wasnt until I imported the dlls into another larger project that I found out about the context menu integration and found it missing.  I looked through the options in VS and couldnt find any way to add that context to menu, although I could target the EL config tool as the tool of choice when editing web.config files.  I would just like to have the native association within the IDE as it is supposed to be.  any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:14 AM

In case I didnt reply correctly ( it IS 3am!)

Thank you for your reply.  I didnt notice its presence or absence before because I was using the config tool to run the logging app block directly, through their examples.  As such, it wasnt until I imported the dlls into another larger project that I found out about the context menu integration and found it missing.  I looked through the options in VS and couldnt find any way to add that context to menu, although I could target the EL config tool as the tool of choice when editing web.config files.  I would just like to have the native association within the IDE as it is supposed to be.  any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:24 AM

I believe that option in the context menu is configured in the registry.  However, I'm not familiar with all the required registrey keys and values that must be present.  Try if the following steps will work:

1. Uninstall EntLib.

2. Run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in the Visual Studio command prompt. Visual Studio opens.  Close it.

3. Re-install EntLib.

4. Run devenv /setup.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I ran a full uninstall, downloaded a fresh copy and ran the installer again.  The IDE picked up the EL in the context menu, so I'm good.  Thanks again for the help!