EntLib Configuration editor v3.1 exception

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Apr 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM

for some odd reason I am getting the following exception on my work machine when I open the Enterprise Library Configuration Editor tool (v3.1) and either open an empty App.config or create a new one...
It works fine on any other machine I have ever used.
I have tried to uninstall and re-install. Even added the compiled binaries to the GAC, no success.
And for the record, I am using straight out-of-the-box EntLib 3.1... no changes.
using VS2005 with (I am pretty sure) SP1.

Any help appreciated,

System.InvalidOperationException: The configuration design manger ConfigurationDesignManager has a dependency on ExceptionHandlingConfigurationDesignManager that could not be loaded.
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.ConfigurationDesignManagerDomain.FindProxy(Type t, ConfigurationDesignManagerProxy manager)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.ConfigurationDesignManagerDomain.Register()
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.ConfigurationUIHierarchy.Load()
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.AddConfigurationApplicationNodeCommand.ExecuteCore(ConfigurationNode node)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Design.ConfigurationNodeCommand.Execute(ConfigurationNode node)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Console.MainForm.CreateNewApplication()
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.Console.MainForm.OnToolbarButtonClick(Object sender, ToolBarButtonClickEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.OnButtonClick(ToolBarButtonClickEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Apr 1, 2008 at 9:47 PM

figured that one out.
It appears that our development environment updates the "assemblyfolder" settings in the registry to point to some custom folders.
In those folders was a copy of the EntLib compiled using our public key (why? don't ask...)
The assembly resolver apparently picked the re-compiled version over the delivered EntLib one which pretty much caused conflict.
I deleted our copy of the EntLib dll and it all worked fine.

Hope that helps others in that (rare) situation.