Stumped with Strong Naming

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Mar 31, 2008 at 8:42 PM
Ok, I'm confused. I downloaded May 2007 (version 3.1) and installed it. I saw that it put the binaries in the "Program Files\Enterprise Library 3.1 - May 2007" directory and that it put an msi file in the ..\src folder.

I ran the Enterprise Library May 2007 - Source Code.msi file and saw that it created a new folder called c:\EntLib3Src. I noticed that the EntLib3Src folder contains a folder for the application block project files, a folder for the QuickStarts, and some other stuff; most notably, the Strong Name Guidance Package folder.

I downloaded and installed the latest Guidance Automation Extensions and the Guidance Automation Toolkit for VS2005.

Now that I've added several dozen Meg's of data to my harddrive, I still can't discern from the help files what the heck I should to do re-build the Ent Lib using our own public key.

I've opened the C:\EntLib3Src\App Blocks\EnterpriseLibrary.sln. I went into Tools, Guidance Package Manager, I clicked Enable packages. I do not see anything related to Strong Name a project. The only thing I see is Guidance Package Development.

What am I missing?

regards,
Roger Sutter

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:07 PM
Roger,

If you installed GAX after you installed EntLib then you didn't get to install the Strong Naming guidance package along with the rest features in the EntLib MSI. If you go back to the installed programs entry for EntLib and change the install, the SNGP should now show up as an installable feature.

You don't need to install GAT to run the guidance packages, it is only used to develop them.

Fernando
May 29, 2008 at 4:06 PM
The same issue that Roger encountered with EL 3.1 is true for EL 4.0.  I have both VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed side-by-side.  When I install the GAX and then the GAT, and then EL 4.0, in VS 2008, I see the same Tools, Guidance Pakcage Manager with only the Guidance Package Development as an available tool to enable/disable.

What is the "magic secret" to getting the Strong-Name Guidance to "activate" in the VS 2008 Tools menu?

fsimonazzi wrote:
Roger,

If you installed GAX after you installed EntLib then you didn't get to install the Strong Naming guidance package along with the rest features in the EntLib MSI. If you go back to the installed programs entry for EntLib and change the install, the SNGP should now show up as an installable feature.

You don't need to install GAT to run the guidance packages, it is only used to develop them.

Fernando

May 31, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Hi,

EntLib 4.0 does not ship the guidance packages. From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512464.aspx:

The following two features have been removed from this release of Enterprise Library and are now available separately:

• The Application Block Software Factory
  • The Strong-Naming Guidance Package

Both of these features are suitable for use in many situations outside of Enterprise Library; therefore, it is appropriate to be able to download and install them separately from Enterprise Library. For more details, and to download these features, see the Enterprise Library community site on CodePlex.

Fernando

fmorriso wrote:
The same issue that Roger encountered with EL 3.1 is true for EL 4.0.  I have both VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed side-by-side.  When I install the GAX and then the GAT, and then EL 4.0, in VS 2008, I see the same Tools, Guidance Pakcage Manager with only the Guidance Package Development as an available tool to enable/disable.

What is the "magic secret" to getting the Strong-Name Guidance to "activate" in the VS 2008 Tools menu?

fsimonazzi wrote:
Roger,

Fernando

Aug 14, 2008 at 5:07 PM
I must be completely blind.  I can't seem to find where I can download the Strong naming Guidance package from.  I've looked in releases section, searched the wiki and the issues and the closest I've come to finding it is this thread.  Fernando quotes the documentation saying that I can download these features from the Entlib site on Codeplex, but so far no luck finding them.  Can someone prove that I'm completely blind and point out a link I can use to download this package from?

Thanks.
Aug 14, 2008 at 5:17 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry, the link in my answer was to EntLib's own project at codeplex. The right link to the community site is http://www.codeplex.com/entlibcontrib/, and you can get the source code from http://www.codeplex.com/entlibcontrib/SourceControl/DirectoryView.aspx?SourcePath=&changeSetId=18161.

Fernando
Aug 14, 2008 at 6:35 PM
Thanks Fernando.  I noticed the EntLibContrib site earlier and scanned it, but even the home page and release page on that project doesn't mention the strong name package.  I appreciate the direct link to the code.  I'm pulling it down now.  Even when I used Google and Live Search I was unable to figure out where to get this downloaded from, but I found lot of examples on how to use it!