Cannot Build EntLib 4.0 ctp

Topics: General discussion, Pre-release discussions
Mar 31, 2008 at 5:34 PM
When running BuildLibrary.bat, I get the error:

error CS1668 : Warning as error : Invalid search path 'C:\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\lib' specified in 'LIB environment variable' -- 'The system cannot find the path specified. '

Do we need the SDK installed? It builds just fine using the .sln and Visual Studio
Apr 8, 2008 at 5:14 PM
the same !!!

How did you deal with this problem?

thanks.

francois_tanguay wrote:
When running BuildLibrary.bat, I get the error:

error CS1668 : Warning as error : Invalid search path 'C:\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\lib' specified in 'LIB environment variable' -- 'The system cannot find the path specified. '

Do we need the SDK installed? It builds just fine using the .sln and Visual Studio

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:57 PM
Edited Apr 9, 2008 at 3:58 PM
All,

Machine Config
- Windows XP with SP2
- Visual Studio 2008
- SQL Server 2008 March CTP

I had the same problem and although this is not the easiest solution but having a need to install the Win SDK I did the following:

*Install Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F26B1AA4-741A-433A-9BE5-FA919850BDBF&displaylang=en
*During install of the SDK, changed the install path to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A

However, the BuildLibrary.bat still fails with the following error:

Build FAILED.

"C:\Downloads\Enterprise Library\v4.0 CTP\Extract\Blocks\EnterpriseLibrary.VSTS.sln" (Rebuild target) (1) ->
"C:\Downloads\Enterprise Library\v4.0 CTP\Extract\Blocks\Security\Src\AzMan\Security.AzMan.csproj" (Rebuild target) (42) ->
(ResolveAssemblyReferences target) ->
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.Common.targets : warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Microsoft.Interop.Security.AzRoles". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.

This is due to assembly: Microsoft.Interop.Security.AzRoles.dll not being available on my machine

Information about Microsoft.Interop.Security.AzRoles.dll
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998336.aspx
urlhttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/identitymanagement/idmanage/P3ASPD_6.mspx?mfr=true

To install AzMan on Windows XP Professional
*Install the Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools Pack, which you can download from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e487f885-f0c7-436a-a392-25793a25bad7&DisplayLang=en. This tools pack enables remote server management of Windows Server 2003, but it also includes AzMan.
*However, this download does not include the AzMan primary interop assembly.
*Therefore, to install the primary interop assembly, download the Windows 2000 Authorization Manager Runtime http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7edde11f-bcea-4773-a292-84525f23baf7&DisplayLang=en and run the installer to extract the component files, which includes the primary interop assembly.
*When you run the installer for the Windows 2000 Authorization Manager Runtime, it creates two subdirectories. One contains the setup file for the Authorization Manager and the second subdirectory, called \pia, contains the primary Interop assembly.
*From the Windows Control Panel, run the Microsoft .NET Framework Configuration tool. Open the Manage Assembly Cache option.
*Using the Add an Assembly to the Assembly Cache option, navigate to the Authorization Manager Runtime Installation Directory\pia folder and add the Microsoft.Interop.Security.AzRoles.dll assembly to the cache.
*Note: The \pia folder contains two versions of the primary interop assembly. The primary interop assembly for version 1.0 of AzMan is in the \pia folder, and the primary interop assembly of version 1.2 of AzMan is in the \pia\1.2 folder. The version 1.2 AzMan COM object exposes additional interfaces that will be of interest to advanced users of AzMan, but it does not offer additional functionality to users of the ASP.NET Roles Management API.
*For my install I used version 1.2

The batch file (BuildLibrary.bat) will now run as expected although just run BuildLibraryAndCopyAssemblies.bat to build and copy the assemblies into the GAC. Then run the following as normal to complete the install:

*InstallDbs.bat (change path if you don't want this in SQLExpress!)
*RegAssemblies.bat

Please feel free to respond if you have found an easier way to install :-)

Paul T

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:02 PM
The only reason you have an issue is because of AzMan. In the final source code we will remove the AzMan projects so they will build. All we do right now is use MsBuild to call the solution which includes everything now.
Apr 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2008 at 11:40 AM
FYI, I had the same issue.
I just created the folder 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Lib' - and it built without any issues.
Apr 22, 2008 at 9:40 PM
I created the folder and got the build to go all the way until it starts processing the AzMan projects--and then i fails. Can anyone (scottden) tell me what I need to do to remove the AzMan projects so the build completes?
Thanks,
Murph
Apr 28, 2008 at 4:57 PM
After removing all references to AzMan in the solution file, I did get everything to build and can get into the QuickStart samples in VS 2008. I'm not sure why, but the EntLib 4.0 install process did not include the Enterprise Library Configuration Tool.
Was it supposed to, or is there a separate install for that?
If I recall, when I installed EntLib 3.0 it installed the config tool. I unistalled 3.0 and removed VS 2005 from my system--so now, unless I jump through many hoops, I cannot re-install the 3.0 config tool.

Any ideas on where I can download the 4.0 config tool????

Thanks,
Murph

mdmurphy wrote:
I created the folder and got the build to go all the way until it starts processing the AzMan projects--and then i fails. Can anyone (scottden) tell me what I need to do to remove the AzMan projects so the build completes?
Thanks,
Murph