ERROR: ExceptionPolicyImpl has multiple constructors of length 2. Unable to disambiguate.

Topics: Exception Handling Application Block
Mar 18, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I have got the following error  while executing my application.

Error:

Source: PromoteInterfaceFields Error: Activation error occured while trying to get instance of type ExceptionPolicyImpl, key "MySSOPolicy" Inner Exception: Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyImpl", name = "MySSOPolicy".
Exception occurred while: while resolving.
Exception is: InvalidOperationException - The type ExceptionPolicyImpl has multiple constructors of length 2. Unable to disambiguate.
-----------------------------------------------
At the time of the exception, the container was:

Resolving Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyImpl,MySSOPolicy
 ---> System.InvalidOperationException: The type ExceptionPolicyImpl has multiple constructors of length 2. Unable to disambiguate.
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.ConstructorSelectorPolicyBase`1.FindLongestConstructor(Type typeToConstruct)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.ConstructorSelectorPolicyBase`1.SelectConstructor(IBuilderContext context, IPolicyList resolverPolicyDestination)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlanCreatorPolicy.CreatePlan(IBuilderContext context, NamedTypeBuildKey buildKey)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name, ResolverOverride[] resolverOverrides)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityServiceLocator.DoGetInstance(Type serviceType, String key)

My configuration File is :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
    <configSections>
        <section name="loggingConfiguration" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.LoggingSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="true" />
        <section name="exceptionHandling" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Configuration.ExceptionHandlingSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="true" />
    </configSections>
    <loggingConfiguration name="" tracingEnabled="true" defaultCategory="General">
        <listeners>
            <add name="Event Log Listener" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.FormattedEventLogTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FormattedEventLogTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                source="SQL Data Access" formatter="Text Formatter" log=""
                machineName="." traceOutputOptions="None" />
        </listeners>
        <formatters>
            <add type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Formatters.TextFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                template="Timestamp: {timestamp}{newline}&#xA;Message: {message}{newline}&#xA;Category: {category}{newline}&#xA;Priority: {priority}{newline}&#xA;EventId: {eventid}{newline}&#xA;Severity: {severity}{newline}&#xA;Title:{title}{newline}&#xA;Machine: {localMachine}{newline}&#xA;App Domain: {localAppDomain}{newline}&#xA;ProcessId: {localProcessId}{newline}&#xA;Process Name: {localProcessName}{newline}&#xA;Thread Name: {threadName}{newline}&#xA;Win32 ThreadId:{win32ThreadId}{newline}&#xA;Extended Properties: {dictionary({key} - {value}{newline})}"
                name="Text Formatter" />
        </formatters>
        <categorySources>
            <add switchValue="All" name="General">
                <listeners>
                    <add name="Event Log Listener" />
                </listeners>
            </add>
        </categorySources>
        <specialSources>
            <allEvents switchValue="All" name="All Events" />
            <notProcessed switchValue="All" name="Unprocessed Category" />
            <errors switchValue="All" name="Logging Errors &amp; Warnings">
                <listeners>
                </listeners>
            </errors>
        </specialSources>
    </loggingConfiguration>
    <exceptionHandling>
        <exceptionPolicies>
            <add name="MySSOPolicy">
                <exceptionTypes>
                    <add name="All Exceptions" type="System.Exception, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
                        postHandlingAction="None">
                        <exceptionHandlers>
                            <add name="Logging Exception Handler" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging.LoggingExceptionHandler, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                                logCategory="General" eventId="100" severity="Error" title="Enterprise Library Exception Handling"
                                formatterType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.TextExceptionFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling"
                                priority="0" />
                        </exceptionHandlers>
                    </add>
                </exceptionTypes>
            </add>
        </exceptionPolicies>
    </exceptionHandling>
</configuration>

Please help with this error. I do not understand why is it not working. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM
Edited Mar 18, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Hi, I saw your other thread and have you looked into ctavares' questions?  You might be defining your configuration in a class library.  Keep in mind that class libraries don't own configuration files, they always read from the host project's.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Hi Sarah

Thanks for your reply. My config file is in the host application. Actually this a custom pipeline component in BizTalk and i want to use Enterprise library for exception handling and logging. My pipeline component calls another class library which retreives some data from the datbase and then passes it onto the pipeline component for processing. I am deliberately reaising an exception to see how this works. However I am getting the below error in the pipeline component. I am calling the ExceptionPolicy.HandleException inside the catch block of the pipeline component. I traced it and i can see the exception bieng raised from the Class library and being caught by the catch block. However i receive the following exception.

ERROR:

There was a failure executing the receive pipeline: "xxxxx.Pipeline.CustomPipelines.Pipelines.CustomReceivePipeline, xxxxx.Pipeline.CustomPipelines, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c42e5aa89a1f0dc0" Source: "PromoteKeyInterfaceFileds" Receive Port: "ReceivePort1" URI: "C:\Users\390799\Desktop\IN_FILE\*.*" Reason: Activation error occured while trying to get instance of type ExceptionPolicyImpl, key "Pipeline Policy".

Inner Exceptiion:

Error:

Source: PromoteInterfaceFields Error: Activation error occured while trying to get instance of type ExceptionPolicyImpl, key "MySSOPolicy" Inner Exception: Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyImpl", name = "Pipeline Policy".
Exception occurred while: while resolving.
Exception is: InvalidOperationException - The type ExceptionPolicyImpl has multiple constructors of length 2. Unable to disambiguate.

My config File:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
    <configSections>
        <section name="loggingConfiguration" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.LoggingSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="true" />
        <section name="exceptionHandling" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Configuration.ExceptionHandlingSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="true" />
    </configSections>
    <loggingConfiguration name="" tracingEnabled="true" defaultCategory="General">
        <listeners>
            <add name="Event Log Listener" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.FormattedEventLogTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FormattedEventLogTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                source="Pipeline Component" formatter="Text Formatter" log=""
                machineName="." traceOutputOptions="None" />
        </listeners>
        <formatters>
            <add type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Formatters.TextFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                template="Timestamp: {timestamp}{newline}&#xA;Message: {message}{newline}&#xA;Category: {category}{newline}&#xA;Priority: {priority}{newline}&#xA;EventId: {eventid}{newline}&#xA;Severity: {severity}{newline}&#xA;Title:{title}{newline}&#xA;Machine: {localMachine}{newline}&#xA;App Domain: {localAppDomain}{newline}&#xA;ProcessId: {localProcessId}{newline}&#xA;Process Name: {localProcessName}{newline}&#xA;Thread Name: {threadName}{newline}&#xA;Win32 ThreadId:{win32ThreadId}{newline}&#xA;Extended Properties: {dictionary({key} - {value}{newline})}"
                name="Text Formatter" />
        </formatters>
        <categorySources>
            <add switchValue="All" name="General">
                <listeners>
                </listeners>
            </add>
        </categorySources>
        <specialSources>
            <allEvents switchValue="All" name="All Events" />
            <notProcessed switchValue="All" name="Unprocessed Category" />
            <errors switchValue="All" name="Logging Errors &amp; Warnings">
                <listeners>
                </listeners>
            </errors>
        </specialSources>
    </loggingConfiguration>
    <exceptionHandling>
        <exceptionPolicies>
            <add name="Pipeline Policy">
                <exceptionTypes>
                    <add name="All Exceptions" type="System.Exception, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
                        postHandlingAction="None">
                        <exceptionHandlers>
                            <add name="Logging Exception Handler" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging.LoggingExceptionHandler, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                                logCategory="General" eventId="100" severity="Error" title="Enterprise Library Exception Handling"
                                formatterType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.TextExceptionFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling"
                                priority="0" />
                        </exceptionHandlers>
                    </add>
                </exceptionTypes>
            </add>
        </exceptionPolicies>
    </exceptionHandling>
</configuration>

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks iin advance.

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I haven't done any work using Biztalk but see if this blog helps since I'm suspecting that your entlib configuration sections are placed in a different file from that which the application reads from.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:36 AM

Form various blogs i came to know that the BizTalk service does not allow any other configuration to use by default. I have copied all the content from the App.config file(which i thought the application would use) in to the BTSNTSvc.config file. The earlier error is now gone. But now i have the following error.

Error:

Error details: There was a failure executing the receive pipeline: "My.Custom.PipelineComponents.ReceivePipeline1, My.Custom.PipelineComponents, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c170e2def5d4089c" Source: "TestPassthroughComponent" Receive Port: "ReceivePort2" URI: "xxxx\xxxx\xxxx\*.*" Reason: The configuration file App.config could not be found.

Is there  a way to surpass the app.config file and then use the BTSNTSvc.config file for the configuration?

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Sorry but I think this is now more of a BizTalk issue which I'm not so familiar so I'd recommend you to post this in other Biztalk forums. 

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.