What is needed to create a Custom location?

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
Mar 7, 2011 at 7:58 PM
Edited Mar 7, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Hi! According to the documentation, the Logging Block can write to

• The event log
  • An e-mail message
  • A database
  • A message queue
  • A text file
  • A Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) event
  • Custom locations using application block extension points

I am a bit overwhelmed by all the details. Can somebody point me to where I can read up on creating a custom location, please. Somehow my search comes up empty.

The solution needs to be backward compatible  from 3.0 and up.

Many thanks in advance,

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Custom providers for Entlib 5 aren't compatible with custom providers for previous versions, so your "compatible with 3.0 up" isn't possible.

For Entlib 5, check out the Enterprise Library Extensibility labs - the second exercise is on building a custom trace listener.

For previous versions no documentation on extensions were ever published, although there are a bunch of examples in entlib contrib.

A third option would be to write a custom .NET Trace Listener class. You'd lose configurability via the Entlib tooling, but you'd gain that cross compatibility (as well as letting you use it outside of Entlib applications).

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Thank you, ctavares.  May I ask you to point to any contributions in the entlib contrib. It looks like I am light on the lingo, so not sure which keywords to search for.

Sincerely appreciate your help.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Entlib contrib is another project here on Codeplex, including a variety of extensions and additions to the core Enterprise Library. It currently targets Entlib 4.1. Take a look at what's in their current downloads.

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Downloaded but could not find any references to custom locations. Are they called custom locations or?

Many thanks in advance,

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Hi,

I'm not really sure what specifically are you referring as "Custom locations using application block extension points ". Though if what you would want is to extend the Logging App Block you can refer to the documentation. Hope this helps.

Gino Terrado
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM

What you're looking for is custom trace listeners.