Enterprise Library Logging in SharePoint 2007

Topics: General discussion, Logging Application Block
Jan 24, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Hi,

has anybody managed to get the EnterpriseLibrary Logging (Version=5.0.414.0) working in a SharePoint (MOSS 2007 sp2) environment?  I've added project references to the logging assemblies and have installed them into the GAC.  However when I call into the Logger.Write(logEntry) method, I recieve the following error:

Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ActivationException: Activation error occured while trying to get instance of type LogWriter, key ""
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.LogWriter", name = "(none)". 
Exception occurred while: while resolving.  Exception is: InvalidOperationException - The type LogWriter cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.
At the time of the exception, the container was:      Resolving Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.LogWriter,(none)  
System.InvalidOperationException: The type LogWriter cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.     at
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.GuardTypeIsNonPrimitive(IBuilderContext context, SelectedConstructor selectedConstructor)     at
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)     at
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)     at
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlanCreatorPolicy.CreatePlan(IBuilderContext context, NamedTypeBuildKey buildKey)     at
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)     at
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)     at
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides)     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---     at
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides)     at
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides)     at
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name, ResolverOverride[] resolverOverrides)     at
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityServiceLocator.DoGetInstance(Type serviceType, String key)     at
Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocatorImplBase.GetInstance(Type serviceType, String key)     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---     at
Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocatorImplBase.GetInstance(Type serviceType, String key)     at
Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.ServiceLocatorImplBase.GetInstance[TService]()     at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Logger.get_Writer()     at
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Logger.Write(LogEntry log)     at
{my feature reciever method}

My web.config for the MOSS web application has the following entries:

(in configuration/configSections)

<section name="loggingConfiguration" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.LoggingSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="true" />
<section name="typeRegistrationProvidersConfiguration" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.TypeRegistrationProvidersConfigurationSection,
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/

(in configuration)

<loggingConfiguration name="" tracingEnabled="true" defaultCategory="General">
    <listeners>
      <add name="Rolling Flat File Trace Listener" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.RollingFlatFileTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.RollingFlatFileTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" fileName="c:\rolling.log" formatter="Text Formatter" rollInterval="Hour" rollSizeKB="100" />
    </listeners>
    <formatters>
      <add type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Formatters.TextFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" template="Timestamp: {timestamp}{newline}&#xA;Message: {message}{newline}&#xA;Category: {category}{newline}&#xA;Priority: {priority}{newline}&#xA;EventId: {eventid}{newline}&#xA;Severity: {severity}{newline}&#xA;Title:{title}{newline}&#xA;Machine: {localMachine}{newline}&#xA;App Domain: {localAppDomain}{newline}&#xA;ProcessId: {localProcessId}{newline}&#xA;Process Name: {localProcessName}{newline}&#xA;Thread Name: {threadName}{newline}&#xA;Win32 ThreadId:{win32ThreadId}{newline}&#xA;Extended Properties: {dictionary({key} - {value}{newline})}" name="Text Formatter" />
    </formatters>
    <categorySources>
      <add switchValue="All" name="General">
        <listeners>
          <add name="Rolling Flat File Trace Listener" />
        </listeners>
      </add>
    </categorySources>
    <specialSources>
      <allEvents switchValue="All" name="All Events">
        <listeners>
        </listeners>
      </allEvents>
      <notProcessed switchValue="All" name="Unprocessed Category">
        <listeners>
        </listeners>
      </notProcessed>
      <errors switchValue="All" name="Logging Errors &amp; Warnings">
        <listeners>
        </listeners>
      </errors>
    </specialSources>
  </loggingConfiguration>
  <typeRegistrationProvidersConfiguration>
	<add name="LogWriter" 
	providertype="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.LogWriter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
  </typeRegistrationProvidersConfiguration>

I've tried adding type registration with the name "logwriter" and "Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.LogWriter", but the exception remais the same.
Can anybody give me a pointer as to what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:18 AM

The usual reason I know is that the logging configuration cannot be read. I haven't work with MOSS project so I don't have any idea how to confirm if the configuration file is being read properly.  

Anyway, check and see if this is the cause of the issue in your case. Hope this helps.

Gino Terrado
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com