DAAB for ODP.Net with EL 5.0

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Dec 10, 2010 at 6:58 AM
Edited Dec 10, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Currently we are DAAB using EL 3.1 with .Net 2.0 and ODP.Net 10.2.0.1.

We are planning to upgrade DAAB with EL 5.0 with .Net 4.0 and ODP.Net 11 Release 2.  

Kindly let me know what are thing that needs to be taken care during the migration,.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:12 AM

I suggest reading thru the migration guide Entlib team has created - http://entlib.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=EntLib5MigrationGuide&referringTitle=EntLib5.

Also, DAAB doesn't use the ODP.NET assembly, it uses the System.Data.OracleClient.dll.  There is a contrib project posted here - http://www.codeplex.com/entlibcontrib/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=3167.  Haven't checked though if it's for the 11g version.  But at the least, you should use it or create something like it. Hope this helps.

Gino Terrado
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I am getting this error "The type or namespace name 'DatabaseAssemblerAttribute' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)' . Kindly let me how to resolve this ...

I have added the following assemblies as references

*  Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common - Version 5.0

* Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data - Version 5.0

* System - Version 4.0

* System.Configuration - Version 4.0

* System.Configuration.Install - Version 4.0

* System.Data - Version 4.0

* System.Transactions  - Version 4.0

* System.Xml - Version 4.0 

* Oracle.DataAccess - Version 4.112.1.2

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM

The assembler classes were removed from the EntLib 5.0.  Creating custom providers is much easier in this version and is documented here.  We have a sample custom database provider, you can email us if you want a copy.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Kindly email the copy of sample custom database provider, it would be very much helpful

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:29 AM

Please email me so I would know to what email should I send it to.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:47 AM

I have send mail to "entlib.support@avanade.com" wit subject "DAAB for ODP.Net with EL 5.0 - discussion:237835".

Kindly send the code to that eMail .

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:55 AM

Done sending the sample.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:25 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Dear Sarah,

Could you be so kind to email me a copy of sample custom database provider?

I have already sent you an email to entlib.support@avanade.com

Thank you very much.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Sample sent. HTH.

Gino Terrado
Avanade, Inc.

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Hi Sarah,

Could you please send me the sample. I have send a mail to entlib.support@avanade.com

Thanks in advance

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Is there any upgrade plan for start using ODP.Net instead of System.Data.OracleClient.dll using enterprise library configuration tool?

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM
foluis wrote:

Is there any upgrade plan for start using ODP.Net instead of System.Data.OracleClient.dll using enterprise library configuration tool?

The bad news is I don't think there is a plan for that.  The good news is that the Enterprise Library Contrib project has an Oracle ODP.NET Data Provider.

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:53 PM
Edited Dec 2, 2011 at 2:58 AM
Naison wrote:

Hi Sarah,

Could you please send me the sample. I have send a mail to entlib.support@avanade.com

Thanks in advance

Generic Coding with the ADO.NET 2.0 Base Classes and Factories is a good article on how to create a provider.  It's a bit old but mostly still accurate.

You could also take a look at the .NET source code or download the MySQL Provider for an example of a full implementation.

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com