Categories used in Industries for Logging

Topics: Logging Application Block
Dec 6, 2010 at 4:36 AM

I'm working on a project where I am using the Logging Application block..

Since I'm a bit new to this field, I would be interested more in knowing the typical logging categories used by the Software industries. For eg, there can be an "Error" category, for the errors and so on.

Any help or article on this topic for reference would be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Hi Toptorps,

Unfortunately I don't know any specific articles that can give you this much high level information other than the documentation ( Hopefully this may give you the head start. Hope this somehow helps.

Gino Terrado
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Hi Gino Terrado,

Thanks for the help. But thats not exactly what I'm looking for.. I'm more interested in finding wot all categories are typically used in the software industry.. "Error", "Debug", "Data Access" are a few I've come across. I want to know wot other similar ones exist..

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:24 AM

Well, aside from those that you have mentioned, I usually come across Trace Events.  But why would you need to know anyway?  For me, as long as the category names fit the purpose for which they are created should be fine.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technologies & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:46 AM

Well, I need to provide an SDK. In that, I need to provide some standard Categories.. Thats the reason I was looking for categories used commonly..

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:40 AM

I've never seen any "industry standard" list; pretty much every org (and every app) comes up with their own list. So I think you're on your own.

One thing I'd suggest you do is think about it in terms of what the reaction should be when messages in this category get logged. Then arrange your categories along those lines. So messages that are "nice to know for perf tuning" might be one category, "server on fire, call the admin Now!" is a different category. You'd often just turn off the former one completely, whereas the second one goes to the "PageTheAdminTraceListener" all the time.

Anyway, something to consider.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I think u mean to talk abt the 'Information' and 'Critical Error' kind of categories.. Thanks..