Need help with database logging

Topics: Logging Application Block
Dec 1, 2010 at 5:16 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I have my application configured to allow the user to request logging to either a file or database.

I have the application configuration done mapping to the formatted database listener which then maps to the text formatter for formatting.

My file logging works great.  My database logging does not produce any records.  Is the use of the text formatter correct or do I need to so some kind of custom formatter for database?

I set the Errors and Warnings section to post to a flat file.  It reports issues with getting to the database.

I ran the configuration tool and it shows the database settings as Hidden and when I open them up it continues to show settings for SQLEXPRESS and an dataset.  (or something like that)

I keep changing this text to correspond to my database but even after saving the data, exiting the tool, and reentering the tool the database is reset to SQLEXPRESS.  How do I change the database definition???!!!!!  (..and have it stay)

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Do not edit the existing connection, create a new one for your database trace listener.  That connection string is actually from the machine.config file so even if you edit it, it just reverts to the original value.  

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technologies & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.