Does Enterprise Library work on VS2008?

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
Mar 7, 2008 at 7:43 PM
Should I be trying to get Enterprise Library to work on Visual Studio 2008? I downloaed the May 2007 version, ran the "source code installer"; then went looking for the options I expected to see integrated into Visual Studio. But the options are not there (There is no option for Configuration Editor, or for Guidance Package Manager).
I need to strong name the enterprise assemblies I intend to use, and I was hoping to do it the easy way (Guidance Package Manager), rather than the manual way.
Mar 7, 2008 at 10:22 PM
You can get the code for Enterprise Library to compile in VS2008 but you will run into 2 problems. The Strong Name Guidance Package will not work unless you change the path to the SN.exe file. Also, you will not have the integrated tool (I don't think the code shipped with 3.x). I hope to get a post up to show how you can get this working.
Mar 13, 2008 at 7:16 AM
Hi Guys

I'm experiencing similar problems (no configuration manager in VS2008).
Is there a fix available?

I've had a look in the registry and the install folders but I cannot see any reference to enterprise library (in my VS2005 install), actually I did find a registry entry but it didn't help when I replicated it to VS2008.

Any help would be great.
Mar 13, 2008 at 1:39 PM
Edited Mar 13, 2008 at 1:39 PM
Quinten, the configuration manager does not show up in VS2008, but you can run the configuration manager as a separate program. A link to "Enterprise Library Configuration" (EntLibConfig.exe) was probably added to the Programs folder on your machine (it was for me - All Programs | Microsoft patterns & practices | Enterprise Library 3.1 - May 2007 | Enterprise Library Configuration.
Mar 14, 2008 at 12:05 AM
You can get it working. I just posed a link in my blog on how to get it up and running http://blogs.msdn.com/scottdensmore/archive/2008/03/13/how-to-get-enterprise-library-3-1-working-in-vs-2008.aspx.
Mar 15, 2008 at 7:01 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.
Thanks for the solution. I was about a third of the way there with the registry - never would have made it al the way so thanks heaps with that one.
Cheers
Q