Encrypted string length

Topics: Cryptography Application Block
Nov 16, 2010 at 8:12 AM

When  a string is encrypted say some string having length 255 is encrypted to produce 704 character length.is there any method to reduce the length of the string during this encryption process.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM

There's no support for that in the Cryptography Application Block.   Why do you need this?  We could probably come up with a different workaround.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:52 AM
Edited Nov 17, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Sarah,

Actually when we are encrypting email messages before encrypting it may be upto 800 to 30000 characters as a result after encryting it may be  1600 t0 50000 characters which is not advisable to store that many characters in the database column.usually when i have seen other encrytion method they usually produce less characters after encryption but with enterprise library it is producing more no of characters does it come under drawback for enterprise library?

what type of workaround can we have for this?please let me know

Many Thanks

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:02 AM

Why do you need the functionality?  That was what I was referring to when I said we could probably come up with a workaround.  There might be other ways to do what you want other than reducing the size of the encrypted string.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com