Using a class library dependent on Ent Lib 2.0

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Class library X uses Ent Lib 2.0 (the version in the dlls is 2.0.0.0). This library is being used in numerous projects and so can't be updated. A rather recent project Y is using Ent Lib 5.0. Now it needs to call few methods on class library X. We have Ent Lib dlls in local bins of individual projects in production environment and Ent Lib is not registered in GAC. So far what I have found is that a possible solution is to have both versions registered in GAC and even then there would be quite a few configuration issues. Is there a way, without Ent Lib going to the GAC as that would require production update and would be rather difficult to get approved.

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Hi,

Not to question your judgement regarding this and I'm probably missing the big picture of the problem too but from what you have stated that class library X should not be updated and it is already being used by multiple projects then isn't it much cheaper and less risk if you would just create a new copy of class library X compiled using entlib 5. And yes you're right that there are also some configuration issue when you put the assembly in GAC. One known issue in EntLib 5 is when you placed the Data assembly in GAC which is documented in this work item http://entlib.codeplex.com/workitem/26903?ProjectName=entlib. Hope this information somehow helps.

Gino Terrado
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Gino,

Thanks for replying. We are evaluating all of the options, including the one that you suggested i.e. to create a copy of the project and have it compiled with EntLib 5 and use that for the newer project. Before making a decision to go one way or the other we want to make sure that we know of all the options and challenges in each of them.