EntLib 5 on 2003 SP2

Topics: General discussion
Oct 1, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I have just learned that a difference between "Windows Server 2003 SP2" and "Windows Server 2003 R2" exist.

As I have no choice to move from 2003 SP2 to 2003 R2 (or even higher) I wonder what issues (cruical or not) are likely to occur when I ignore the requirements and just use EntLib 5.

Obviously there must be a reason why the EntLib crew did not include 2003 SP2. Any honest suggestions?

--Jörn

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I honestly don't know exactly what are the difference that would not make EntLib work on Windows Server 2003 SP2.  But I think the team didn't just do a full test on that operating system.  That's just my opinion, here's a somewhat related thread where Grigori Melnik explains why Windows XP is not included in the list of operating systems.

Overall, I still believe EntLib 5 would still work fine in your operating system.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solution
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Oct 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM

The reason it's not explicitly listed as supported is that we didn't explicitly test that OS. We are a fairly small team with a limited budget and staff. In order to keep our test matrix from exploding, we limit our OS testing to the current Server and Client releases, and one version back from that. So on server, we tested Server 2008 and 2003R2. On client, we tested Windows 7 and Vista.

We did later go back and do a quick test pass on Windows XP because of customer outcry and found no issues (not that I would have expected any).

In general, it should just work anywhere our required versions of the .NET Framework run - .NET 3.5 SP1 or .NET 4.0. The underlying OS is pretty much irrelevant.