EntLib 5 and MSMQDistributor assembly issues.

Topics: General discussion, Logging Application Block
Sep 21, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Hi,

I've tried everything I can think of to get the MSMQDistributor to work with no success.

It installs without errors, but when I try to start the service it gives the message:  "The GD Distributor Service2 service on Local Computer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

I have dug into it as far as I know how (am new to MSMQ and the vagaries of EntLib5).  Here's what I see in the Assembly Binding Log Viewer:

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry  (9/21/2010 @ 12:30:18 PM) ***

The operation failed.
Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.

Assembly manager loaded from:  C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Running under executable  D:\EntLib50Src\bin\MsmqDistributor.exe
--- A detailed error log follows. 

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: User = RMVNT1\gmacafee
LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=en, PublicKeyToken=null
 (Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = MsmqDistributor.exe
Calling assembly : Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: D:\EntLib50Src\bin\MsmqDistributor.exe.Config
LOG: Using host configuration file: 
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/en/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/en/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/en/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/en/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources.EXE.
LOG: All probing URLs attempted and failed.

I have been unable to find a truly good source of information on how to get the MSMQDistributor up and running successfully--does anyone know of a good source?

Thank you,

Glen MacAfee

*** Assembly Binder Log Entry  (9/21/2010 @ 12:30:18 PM) ***

The operation failed.
Bind result: hr = 0x80070002. The system cannot find the file specified.

Assembly manager loaded from:  C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Running under executable  D:\EntLib50Src\bin\MsmqDistributor.exe
--- A detailed error log follows. 

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: User = RMVNT1\gmacafee
LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=en, PublicKeyToken=null
 (Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
LOG: Dynamic Base = NULL
LOG: Cache Base = NULL
LOG: AppName = MsmqDistributor.exe
Calling assembly : Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: D:\EntLib50Src\bin\MsmqDistributor.exe.Config
LOG: Using host configuration file: 
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/en/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/en/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/en/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/EntLib50Src/bin/en/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources/Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources.EXE.
LOG: All probing URLs attempted and failed.
Sep 22, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Have you read the Using the Distributor Service topic from the documentation?

I  encountered the same error message when I deleted the loggingConfiguration section from the MsmqDistributor.exe.config file.  Does this apply to you?

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@Avanade.com

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Hi Sarah,

Yes, thanks for getting back to me.  I think that may have been my problem—deleting the LoggingConfiguration section.  I’ve tried so many things.  I had read the documentation you sent a link to, but it leaves something to be desired in terms of understanding the whole chain of events.  At least for me.

Still, I’m making good progress—so thanks!

Glen

Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 22:43
To: gamacafee@gmail.com
Subject: Re: EntLib 5 and MSMQDistributor assembly issues. [entlib:228029]

I encountered the same error message when I deleted the loggingConfiguration section from the MsmqDistributor.exe.config file. Does this apply to you?

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (entlib@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email entlib@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Hi Sarah,

I found a couple of forum messages relating to a custom LAB—do you have an extra copy lying around anywhere?  ;)

I’ve tried writing my own custom one, but apparently I’m missing something.  It compiles, and I can set the properties, but apparently my custom stored procedure is never getting hit.

Thanks,

Glen

Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 22:43
To: gamacafee@gmail.com
Subject: Re: EntLib 5 and MSMQDistributor assembly issues. [entlib:228029]

I encountered the same error message when I deleted the loggingConfiguration section from the MsmqDistributor.exe.config file. Does this apply to you?

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (entlib@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email entlib@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:59 AM
Edited Oct 11, 2010 at 4:12 AM

I've sent it to your email.  Do let us know if you received it since there were instances when we were unable to send emails with attachments to gmail accounts.  If you think this is happening, send us a message using a different email so you won't have to post it here.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.