Enterprise Library 3.1 - May 2007 fails to install

Topics: Enterprise Library Core
Feb 20, 2008 at 4:07 PM
Please help.
I downloaded Enterprise Library 3.1 - May 2007 and tried to install it but then got an error and it rolled back the installation.
The pop error dialog said:

Unable to get installer types in the
c:\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.BlockFactoryInstaller.dll
assembly. --> Unable to load one or more of the requested types.
Retrieve the LoaderException property for more information.
ok

I then checked the EventLog and there was entry containing the following:

The description for Event ID ( 11001 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files
to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag
to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details.
The following information is part of the event:
Product: Enterprise Library 3.1 - May 2007 --
Error 1001. Unable to get installer types in the C:\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.BlockFactoryInstaller.dll assembly. -->
Unable to load one or more of the requested types.
Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).

Can anyone please help me out as I would like to install it and use the WebClientSoftwareFactory.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:13 PM
Found why this was happening and problem has been solved.

On my dev box, I only have VS2003 and VS2008 installed, not VS2005.

The .msi was looking for VS2005 which does not exist.

Got an .msi editor (orca.msi) to modify the Enterprise Library 3.1 - May 2007 msi file.
http://www.brentnorris.net/blog/?p=319

Followed the steps in this link
http://staff.southworks.net/blogs/ejadib/archive/2007/10/08/How2D00To3A00-Web-Client-Software-Factory-2800WCSF2900-2600-Visual-Studio-Orcas-Beta-2.aspx

And the installation went well.
Had to do this for a few .msi files.
Jun 4, 2008 at 7:42 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2008 at 8:12 PM
That is not the case for me.  I have both VS 2005 and VS 2008.  I inadvertantly installed EnterpriseLibrary 3.0 (January 2006) earlier in the day and had also installed the  Global Automation Extensions, the Global Automation Toolkits for both 2005 and 2008, and the Visual Studio 2008 SDK.  When I uninstalled Enteprise Library for 2.0 (January 2006) and tried to  install Enterprise Library for 2.0 and 3.0 (May 2007) I got the following error amongst 5 or 6 error messages.

Unable to get installer types in the 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common\IDE...\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.StrongNamingGuidancePackageInstaller.dll assembly. -->
Unable to load one or more of the requested types.  Retreive the LoaderException property for more information.

One forum reported that someone had gotten a similar error when trying to install Enterprise Library after installing the automation extensions and toolkit, So I uninstalled these and tried again.  Same errors. Same Rollback.

Adding an update.  the thread at http://www.codeplex.com/smartclient/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=14010  about similar issues with Smart Client Software Factory, mentioned going into the machine.config file for v2.0.50727. and changing there version of the assemblybinding appliesTo attribute from 1.1.4322 to 2.0.50727.  I did this and it allowed me to install Enterprise Library.
Feb 18, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Hi,

I got the same error... unable to get installer types ..... blockfactoryinstaller.dll

Where as in my Machine.config file I could not locate the entire tag of 

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" appliesTo="v1.1.4322">

In my machine.config the tag looks something like this....

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
          <dependentAssembly>
              <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework"
                  publicKeyToken="b03f5f7f11d50a3a" culture="neutral" />
              <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.51206.0-1.3.0.0" newVersion="1.4.0.0" />
          </dependentAssembly>

and then I tried changing the newVersion="1.4.0.0" to 2.0.  where as it does not seem to work.

any ideas?

Krish

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:34 AM
Hi,

Do you have VS 2005 installed in your machine? 

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com
Feb 19, 2009 at 12:05 PM
yes

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:34 AM, AvanadeSupport wrote:

Hi,

Do you have VS 2005 installed in your machine? 

Valiant Dudan
Avanade, Inc.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ( entlib@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email entlib@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribeon codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:10 AM
Hi krishnakonline, I read the link posted by joeller and I think you should be adding the appliesTo attribute to this tag - <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"> and not modifying the newVersion attribute in the <bindingRedirect> tag.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.
Jan 20, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I tried adding the "appliesTo" tag and it didn't work for me.  I don't have VS2005 installed but I do have the GAT/GAX and WSSF installed.

Any other ideas?

Jerry

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Are you getting the error message regarding the BlockFactoryInstaller assembly?  Try the workarounds suggested here.

http://www.ureader.com/msg/1535352.aspx

http://www.agileprogrammer.com/oneagilecoder/archive/2007/11/17/23811.aspx

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.