WMI Trace Listener + Perfmon

Topics: Logging Application Block
Aug 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I'm creating a test spike of v5.0 of the Enterprise Library Logging Block.  I've configured a test web service to use the WMI Trace Listener and the Event Log Listener.  When I hit my service, events are correctly writen to the event log, but if I open Permon to test the WMI lister by adding counters, I see the "Enterprise Library Logging Counters" item, but there are no object instances to select for profiling.

Questions:

1.  Do I need to decorate my code with Instrumentation attribution and register it with InstallUtil to get it to show up in Perfmon?

2.  Is the "Enterprise Library Logging Counters" bucket the item I would profile to see WMI events being thrown from my application by default?

3.  Does anyone know of a reference article showing integration with SCOM or other WMI listening management systems?

Documentation on the WMI Trace Listener seems to be very limited.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:15 AM

To be honest I really haven't done any WMI logging yet.  Though, I found a related thread http://entlib.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=37447 and I hope it may give you insights regarding your questions.

Also, kindly note this statement "WMI support has been removed from Enterprise Library except for the WMI Trace Listener in the Logging block. Enterprise Library no longer exposes its configuration through WMI, and the application blocks no longer raise WMI events. Only the WMI Trace Listener in the Logging block still raises WMI events." found in the entlib 5 change log.

Gino Terrado
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com