Multiple versions of Data Access EL in the same app

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Jul 30, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Hi,

I have a library that references EL 3.1 for data access and an application that uses this library.  Now, this application also make database connections but I want to use the latest EL version 5.  At this point, we're not ready to upgrade the library to use v5 yet.  The question is how can I use this library in my app while at the same time referencing EL v5?  I can set up my app.config to have 2 dataConfiguration sections, one pointing to 3.1 and another pointing to 5 but how can the library automactically pick up the version that it supposes to use?  Thanks.

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:12 AM
Edited Aug 2, 2010 at 2:18 AM

If you're going to have two dataConfiguration sections, you would need to modify the source code of the other version so it would look for the name of the other dataConfiguration section.  You would also need to fully qualify the name of each assembly in the configuration file.  I haven't personally tried it so try checking out this related thread.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Thanks, Sarah.  I followed the link you gave and I'm now able to do this using a different app domain.  Don't have to create multiple dataConfiguration sections in my config.