Silverlight Compatible Validation Application Block

Topics: Silverlight Integration Pack, Validation Application Block
Jul 29, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Are there any future plans to create a Silverlight compatible version of the Validation Application Block?

We currently use the EntLib 5.0/VAB with a single validation configuration file per class utilizing multiple rule sets for validation, and we're getting ready to rewrite our core applications using Silverlight.  We would like to maintain our current validation infrastructure, but I'm not seeing any simple way to use what we have with a shared source object that can be validated at the service level using WCF, and also at the presentation level using Silverlight. 

As a side note, the idea of using separate objects for validation between the service level and the presentation level seems pointless to me because we control both ends of the chain, and attribute based validation could get quite cumbersome with the varying rule sets we currently implement for each object.

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:33 AM

We'll have the EntLib team answer this.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Yes, we are considering a Silverlight version of EntLib.

Other than reuse of your config files when porting from desktop to Silverlight, are there any other scenarios that you would like the Validation Block to support in Silverlight?

In the context of your side note, what do you mean by "using separate objects"?

Enterprise Library Producer

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:16 PM
The ability to support multiple rule sets and seperate configuration files by object type was the primary reason we chose to use VAB over other methods of validation. As far as other scenarios, we are moving into new territory, and we may encounter situations where the current implementation does not provide the functionality we require, but it would be difficult for me to speculate what those might be at this point in our transition. We had tossed around the idea of creating seperate objects each implementing a common interface, but using different forms of validation between Silverlight and our WCF services. The general idea was to use our current objects with VAB on the WCF side, and create new objects using DataAnnotations attributes or throwing validation exceptions in Silverlight. However this approach goes against one of our development goals, which is to reuse as much code as possible. Hopefully that makes sense... Any thoughts on when a Silverlight version of EntLib could be available?
Sep 2, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I also have an interest in Silverlight Validation from EntLib.

Can I please have some indication of when you guys plan to have SL versions of the EntLib?

I am currently writing a project using NetTiers with EntLib. I have customized the entity generator to also generate classes for Silverlight, excluding the EntLib Validation.

However we are now at a point where our WPF/Silverlight projects are having trouble finding common ground in terms of validation, so having a common EntLib Validation library accross both platforms would defnitely aid us.

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:41 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM

We've kicked off a public consultation on this and intend to move with the analysis and prioritization of the backlog fairly quickly after it closes (Nov 1):

Please spread the news and invite others to participate in this feedback loop.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Additional discussion here:

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Development of the Silverlight Integration Pack has started. Watch for the iteration code drops.

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Silverlight version of the Validation application block has been produced. 2 code drops are out as well as 2 demos with videos. All linked from

Check them out, let us know if we've missed anything.

May 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Final version is out.