Using version 3.1 and 1.1 of the EntLib

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Feb 12, 2008 at 3:08 AM
Greetings!

I have an application that I'm designing in .NET 2.0 using VS2005. I'm referencing assemblies that I've created in .NET 1.1 using VS2003. The assemblies that I created in .NET 1.1 reference the Enterprise Library 1.1 assemblies; however, in my .NET 2.0 code, I'm referencing Enterprise Library 3.1 assemblies. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be working because when my .NET 1.1 assembly loads, it fails to load the EntLib assembly it needs because the version is different. Am I going to have to use the GAC to handle this problem? I need both versions of the assemblies because I cannot convert my .NET 1.1 code right now. I'm running the application from an intranet, so will the GAC have to be modified on every machine that I run the program on?

Sorry if I'm asking very rudimentary questions; however, this is the first time I've really ran into versioning issues with .NET, so my experience with GAC is very limited.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Kyjan
Feb 13, 2008 at 6:44 PM
Is it possible that I can register the 3.0 assemblies in the GAC and not register the 1.0 assemblies? If I do this, will all assemblies referencing the 3.0 EntLib assemblies look in the GAC and the assemblies referencing 1.1 EntLib assemblies look in the directory to find the files?

Will that solve the issue?