Enterprise Library 5 Assembly Set Solution Property is black and crashes VS2010 on click

Topics: Enterprise Library Core
Jul 12, 2010 at 6:25 PM

In any solution, even newly created solutions, the solution property "Enterprise Library 5 Assembly Set" value appears as a black box in the Visual Studio 2010 properties window.  If I click on the property name or value, VS crashes.   I noticed that if I open VS, load the project and quickly select the solution the property displays correct.   It appears that a couple seconds after I open VS, there is some cursor flashing and the status bar (where "ready" is displayed) flickers.   Once that happens, the property will not display when I select the solution.  

Using devenv /logging, and the extension analyzer extension log viewer,  I noticed that there were a number of "Data Collision" issues related to the Tangible modeling extensions.  

First I disabled all extensions.  The log still showed the data collision messages when checking package definitions during VS startup.

I used extension manager to "uninstall" the Tangible extension but the log still showed that packages were being checked.

I went to the directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\tangible engineering

and deleted the Tangible modeling extensions.

Still the issue persisted.

I started VS using devenv.exe /safemode which of course prevented any of the Entlib stuff from loading.

I went back and loaded VS normally and the issue had gone away.   So I don't know if the Tangible extensions were part of the problem or if simply starting VS in safemode somehow resolved the issue.

Just thought I'd post this in the hope of helping someone else avoid hours trying to resolve the issue.