Installing MsmqDistributor.exe with no Visual Studio Command Prompt

Topics: Logging Application Block
Jun 29, 2010 at 3:45 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Hi

I was wondering if there was a way to install MsmqDistributor.exe without the Visual Studio Command prompt and how would I do that. I have the Entlib 5.0 and .Net4 framework installed on a development server. I want to install the MsmqDistributor.exe as a service on this machine. I have naturally the normal command prompt available and I followed the normal installation instructions and it gives a range of errors, relating to the environment variables I suspect. I guess that is what the Visual Studio Command Prompt sets up for us when running the installUtil.exe program.

Given this is an enterrpise server I haven't got the ops team to install the Visual Studio Command Prompt (tools) on this server. Is there a way I can do this without the VS Command Prompt? Is there an msi or installer package for this or specific bat file to set the appropriate environment variables.

Thanks

Rob

Jul 1, 2010 at 2:31 AM

I haven't exactly tried the scenario you're on now but I think it is possible.  I did perform the installation of MsmqDistributor using the normal command prompt and just navigated to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 and typed in the command installutil -i [EntLib Installation Folder]\Bin\MsmqDistributor.exe

If you're sure this isn't working, I think it would be a good idea to post your question regarding if there's an equivalent bat file which sets the appropriate environment variables in other .NET forums.  I did try to look for it, so far, it seems the vsvars32.bat does that based on the following references:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/VSCPinYourIDE.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1700bbwd(VS.80).aspx

http://superuser.com/questions/104868/run-visual-studio-command-line-tools-in-windows-powershell

Anyway, it would still be better to confirm on others who are experts on this matter.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@Avanade.com

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Thanks Sarah

Yes it is still an issue, I checked your links (thanks for the research), but they don't really help as they assume the vsvars32.bat. I have posted the issue on msdn to see if anyone there might be able to help.

I may have to get the ops team to install that part of the framework.

Rob

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM

My understanding is that installutil.exe is part of the .NET SDK, not the framework itself. As such, it won't (and shouldn't) be present on non-developer machines. However, installutil itself is just a small wrapper around the framework stuff in the System.Configuration.Install namespace.

Your options are this as far as I see:

1. Write an MSI to install stuff on the server. Installing a service is a standard action in Wix at least, so this should be pretty trivial.
  2. Write a tiny command line shim that calls into the System.Configuration.Install.AssemblyInstaller class, use this to install the distributor.
  3. Copy just installutil.exe onto the target machine. The last one isn't supported by Microsoft, but should work.

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Thanks ctavares

I have taken up option 1 and built an msi, which has worked just fine. Took me a little to get it to work.

The installUtil I think is part of the .Net Framework folder, fyi.

Thank you for responding and I have now got it working.

Rob