Validating Method Parameters Using Configuration

Topics: Policy Injection Application Block, Validation Application Block
Feb 7, 2008 at 9:19 PM
I am attempting to implement policy injection at the business logic layer of my service to do logging, exception handling, and mainly validation. I am running into a problem because I was planning on handling all validation through configuration files and not attributes.

When creating the validation configuration I seem to be stuck on figuring out a way to validate parameters of a method. I have a class with several methods on it which has been created by calling PolicyInjection.Create<BusinessLogicClass>();. So I would imagine that in configuration I should be able to select the type BusinessLogicClass and then for each method in the class; be able to put rules on the parameters.

I know that I can put rules on the parameters which are types of their own, but I have found no way to do it for primitive types such as int that is a parameter on a method.

Is there a way to put rules on primitive parameters on methods or can this only be done using attributes?
Jun 14, 2008 at 10:48 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Hi, has anyone figured this out?

Attributes are convenient for code samples, but I would imagine that most developers would prefer to use the configuration file.

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Hi,

While there is no convenient way to specify validation for intercepted methods' parameters in a centralized fashion, you can use different validation rulesets and attach them to the parameter types even if they are not owned by you.

Here's a sample application

8 namespace Test.Application

9 {

10     class Program

11     {

12         static void Main(string[] args)

13         {

14             DomainClass dc = PolicyInjection.Create<DomainClass>();

16             DomainClass2 dc2 = new DomainClass2();

17             dc2.Property = "aaaaabaa";

18             dc.DoSomething(dc2, 200);

19         }

20     }

22     public class DomainClass : MarshalByRefObject

23     {

24         public virtual void DoSomething(DomainClass2 arg1, int arg2)

25         {

26         }

27     }

29     public class DomainClass2

30     {

31         public string Property { get; set; }

32     }

33 }

With the matching configuration for PIAB, specifying that validation is to be used for a given method using a specific rule set

33   <policyInjection>

34     <policies>

35       <add name="Policy">

36         <matchingRules>

37           <add type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.PolicyInjection.MatchingRules.MemberNameMatchingRule, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.PolicyInjection, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

38             name="Member Name Matching Rule">

39             <matches>

40               <add match="DoSomething" ignoreCase="false" />

41             </matches>

42           </add>

43         </matchingRules>

44         <handlers>

45           <add ruleSet="DoSomething ruleset" specificationSource="Configuration"

46             order="0" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.PolicyInjection.CallHandlers.ValidationCallHandler, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.PolicyInjection.CallHandlers, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

47             name="Validation Handler" />

48         </handlers>

49       </add>

50     </policies>

51   </policyInjection>

And configuration for the validation block with validators on the parameter types for the handler's ruleset

8   <validation>

9     <type assemblyName="Test.Application, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"

10       name="Test.Application.DomainClass2">

11       <ruleset name="DoSomething ruleset">

12         <properties>

13           <property name="Property">

14             <validator pattern="^a*$" options="None" patternResourceName=""

15               patternResourceType="" messageTemplate="" messageTemplateResourceName=""

16               messageTemplateResourceType="" tag="" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.Validators.RegexValidator, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

17               name="Regex Validator" />

18           </property>

19         </properties>

20       </ruleset>

21     </type>

22     <type assemblyName="mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"

23       name="System.Int32">

24       <ruleset name="DoSomething ruleset">

25         <validator lowerBound="0" lowerBoundType="Ignore" upperBound="10"

26           upperBoundType="Inclusive" negated="false" messageTemplate=""

27           messageTemplateResourceName="" messageTemplateResourceType=""

28           tag="" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.Validators.RangeValidator, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"

29           name="Range Validator" />

30       </ruleset>

31     </type>

32   </validation>