Enterprise Library 5.0 Logging Fine Locally but Not When Moved to Server

Topics: Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
Jun 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I have a VS 2010 Web Application Project that is using the Exception Handling and Logging blocks to log exceptions to a database, the event log, and a rolling text file.  When I run the site locally on my development laptop, logging occurs to all three sources as expected.  When I publish this code to our dev and test servers, however, I see no logging.  As far as I can tell, all of the correct assemblies are included in the /bin folder of the Web Application Project.  Other than that, the code that I published works with no issues.  What might I be missing?  This is my first time working with any of the Enterprise Library application blocks, so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dale Gantz

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:34 PM

More information - My development laptop is Windows XP/IIS 5.1 with Visual Studio 2010/Cassini development server.  The server is Windows 2003 Standard/IIS 6.  Is there anything I should be aware of between IIS 5.1 and IIS 6.0?  Thanks.

Dale Gantz

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Found my issue after more searching.  I had to manually add the event type to the registry once I moved the application to the servers, since the Network Service user that the application pool runs under does not have permissions in the registry to create new event types.  Thanks.