Use EL Configuration Editor for application configuration

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Feb 6, 2008 at 7:17 AM

We are using EL 3.1 as a framework in our projects and would like to use the Configuration Editor to configure our application as well.
Is there any simple way to use the EL Configuration Editor for our application?

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:59 AM
Hi Itai -

The EntLib config tool can be extended to use for any configuration section, but it's not a trivial exercise - you need to build a set of Design Time Configuraton classes that wrap the runtime configuration classes (ConfigurationSections and ConfigurationElements). The best suggestion I can give is to look a the code that drives the Application Settings design-time and the other EntLib design-time classes and try to follow the same approach. The Application Block Software Factory may also help you, even if you're not really building a complete "block".

Hope this helps
Feb 6, 2008 at 11:08 AM
Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for the prompt response!

I basically know that I am able create design-time configuration classes and I figured out it is not trivial. I also explored the option of the Software Factory but didn't find it friendly to use only for generating design-time configuration classes, and thought maybe I am missing something...

Are there no best-known-practices or tools that help in this task?