Logging Trace Listener not working

Topics: Logging Application Block
Jun 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM
Edited Jun 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM
Hello - I have an application that is using the Logging 4.0 Framework, and works fine with a flat file trace listener. I did some work to also add a database listener, and, although it appears the configuration is correct, the logger does not add entries to the database tables (nor does it throw an error). Here is my config: <loggingConfiguration name="Logging Application Block" tracingEnabled="true" defaultCategory="General" logWarningsWhenNoCategoriesMatch="true"> <listeners> <add databaseInstanceName="Logging" writeLogStoredProcName="WriteLog" addCategoryStoredProcName="AddCategory" formatter="" listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Database.Configuration.FormattedDatabaseTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Database, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" traceOutputOptions="None" filter="All" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Database.FormattedDatabaseTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Database, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="Database Trace Listener" /> <add fileName="trace.log" header="----------------------------------------" footer="----------------------------------------" formatter="" listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FlatFileTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" traceOutputOptions="None" filter="All" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.FlatFileTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="FlatFile TraceListener" /> <add source="Enterprise Library Logging" formatter="Text Formatter" log="Application" machineName="" listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FormattedEventLogTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" traceOutputOptions="None" filter="All" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.FormattedEventLogTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="Formatted EventLog TraceListener" /> </listeners> <formatters> <add template="Timestamp: {timestamp} Message: {message} Category: {category} Priority: {priority} EventId: {eventid} Severity: {severity} Title:{title} Machine: {machine} Application Domain: {appDomain} Process Id: {processId} Process Name: {processName} Win32 Thread Id: {win32ThreadId} Thread Name: {threadName} Extended Properties: {dictionary({key} - {value} )}" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Formatters.TextFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="Text Formatter" /> </formatters> <categorySources> <add switchValue="All" name="General"> <listeners> <add name="Formatted EventLog TraceListener" /> </listeners> </add> </categorySources> <specialSources> <allEvents switchValue="All" name="All Events"> <listeners> <add name="Database Trace Listener" /> </listeners> </allEvents> <notProcessed switchValue="All" name="Unprocessed Category" /> <errors switchValue="All" name="Logging Errors & Warnings"> <listeners> <add name="Formatted EventLog TraceListener" /> </listeners> </errors> </specialSources> </loggingConfiguration> In .NET, I am logging as follows: var entry = new LogEntry(); entry.Message = message; entry.MachineName = Environment.MachineName; entry.Severity = TraceEventType.Information; Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Logger.Write(entry); Is there anything I am doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance
Jun 10, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce your problem even that I already copy and pasted your logging configuration it works fine from my end. What something that I'm curious right now is to check if the connection string "Logging" is configured properly. Please check if this is indeed properly configured and pointing to the correct database. 

Gino Terrado
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:54 AM

In addition, the logging application block doesn't throw any exception even if one of the trace listeners failed to log and that is by design.  The exceptions though will be logged if you configured a trace listener under the Loggign Errors and Warnings section.  In your config, you configured the Formatted EventLog TraceListener in it so I recommend you to check your event viewer and check if there's any log indicating why the message was not logged in the database.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com