Sample project for this new EntLib 5?

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Data Access Application Block, General discussion
May 24, 2010 at 9:32 AM

hello experts,

I have read this entlib version and I truly like the idea.  However, I am unable to imagine how this entlib apply to the .NET web project.  Is there any sample project or starterKit that uses this EntLib I can study?

Bests

May 24, 2010 at 9:43 AM

The hands-on labs for EntLib 5 has not yet  been released but you can refer first to the hands-on labs for the 4.1 version (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ab3f2168-fea1-4fc2-b40c-7867d99d4b6a) or to the quick starts  that comes with the entlib 4.1 source code.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@Avanade.com

May 27, 2010 at 8:45 AM
Thanks Sarah for your quick reply. I believe the EntLib 5.0 has some better features that not available in version 4.0 such as Accessors which I am interested in. I was, however, able to get the EntLib 5 hand-ons lab but I got the errors while compiling it. It is related about missing Moq reference. Still don't know how to fix it. Thanks
May 27, 2010 at 8:59 AM
Edited May 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM

The Moq assemblies cannot be included as part of the enterprise library download, so you have to download it yourself here - http://code.google.com/p/moq/.  Unpack the binaries and place them in - EntLib50Src\Lib\ThirdParty\Moq.  By the way, the Moq version to download is 3.1.416.3 for EntLib 5.0.

For samples, the EntLib 5.0 Hands On Labs has just been released, I think yesterday. You can download it here.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@Avanade.com

May 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Thanks Sarah for super fast response.  I am trying to get a sense of its new EntLib 5.0.   I just wonder why the EntLib 5.0 doesn't include Moq.dll in its solution since it is called everywhere.

I am particularly interested in using accessors feature in version 5.0 which lacks in 4.0.   However, I am unable to find a good/clear sample how to use it correctly.   Do you have any hint/url/suggestion/sample site... that can point me to?  The reason behind all of this is to bind the data using DAAB to a custom object for easy use of the project.

Once again, much appreciate your support and help.  I am blessed to have your help.

le9569

May 28, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Moq is not included by direction of Microsoft Legal. We're allowed to use it, but not to distribute the binaries.

The Hands-on-lab includes an exercise that uses the data accessors, which should give you a fairly complete example.

May 30, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Besides the new hands-on-labs, it would be nice to have  a sample project that put all these blocks togother

Regards

Jun 2, 2010 at 6:28 AM

A single project that uses all the blocks doesn't really make sense. They're pretty orthogonal pieces, so we find it much easier to digest showing them individually.

Just because a block is there doesn't mean you should use it. Examine your requirements and see if it helps. You don't need a single all-up example project for that, and in my experience a large do-everything sample just serves to intimidate and confuse rather than explain.

I could be wrong, of course. :-)