Cannot log to trace.log within the site's root folder

Topics: Exception Handling Application Block
May 19, 2010 at 11:28 AM
Edited May 19, 2010 at 11:28 AM
Hi, I've got my flat file trace listener filename set to 'trace.log'. I'm assuming this is then generated in the root folder of the current ASP.NET web site. However no file is generated. If I change the filename attribute to 'C:\temp\trace.log' then it is generated. Even if the folder does not exist, the folder is created and the log file produced. If I change it to C:\temp2\trace.log, again this is generated. Is there any reason why just using the filename without any path prevents any file from being generated? Thanks,
May 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Yes it should be created in the root folder of your current ASP web application. Try to check if you have the correct permission of creating the log file in the root folder of your web app. You should have a write permission in the folder to be able to successfully create the log file. If this doesn't work please let us know.

Gino Terrado
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

May 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Edited May 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM

What are the default user permissions required for this to work, considering that EntLib creates a folder outside the wwwroot path that enables logging without me having to set-up permissions?

thanks again.

May 19, 2010 at 2:57 PM

At the least, write permission is enough.

Gino Terrado
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com