service could not be started. could not load X.509 certificate identity specified in the configuration

Topics: Security Application Block
May 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM
Edited May 13, 2010 at 7:33 PM
I am using username authentication for client and certificate authentication for service. Am done with installing the certificates and i have root authority in my perosnal local store and CRL in trusted root folder. everything was fine until i added client. When i tried to add client, its giving me the error" error: "the service could not be started" .. and when i run diagnostic trace, its showing me "could not load X.509 certificate identity specified in the configuration" I have tried googling the error, and the possible solutions are given as to exactly locate the private key, and allow the user account of IIS to give read permissions to the file where the private key is located. my user account for IIS is ASPNET and i have given read permissions for that user . I have followed the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc949082.aspx The stack trace is like this! System.ServiceModel.Description.ConfigLoader.LoadIdentity(IdentityElement element) System.ServiceModel.Description.ConfigLoader.LoadServiceDescription(ServiceHostBase host, ServiceDescription description, ServiceElement serviceElement, Action`1 addBaseAddress) System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.LoadConfigurationSectionInternal(ConfigLoader configLoader, ServiceDescription description, ServiceElement serviceSection) System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.LoadConfigurationSectionInternal(ConfigLoader configLoader, ServiceDescription description, String configurationName) System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.ApplyConfiguration() System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.InitializeDescription(UriSchemeKeyedCollection baseAddresses) System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost.InitializeDescription(Type serviceType, UriSchemeKeyedCollection baseAddresses) System.ServiceModel.ServiceHost..ctor(Type serviceType, Uri[] baseAddresses) System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(Type serviceType, Uri[] baseAddresses) System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceHostFactory.CreateServiceHost(String constructorString, Uri[] baseAddresses) System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.CreateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.ActivateService(String normalizedVirtualPath) System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath) System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.EnsureServiceAvailableFast(String relativeVirtualPath) System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.HandleRequest() System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.BeginRequest() System.ServiceModel.Activation.HostedHttpRequestAsyncResult.OnBeginRequest(Object state) System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.Invoke2() System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.Invoke() System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.ProcessCallbacks() System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.CompletionCallback(Object state) System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.ScheduledOverlapped.IOCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped) System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.IOCompletionThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(UInt32 error, UInt32 bytesRead, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped) System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP) and the exception type is: System.InvalidOperationException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
May 14, 2010 at 1:39 AM

This is a non-entlib question.  Please post this in other forums.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@Avanade.com