WCF Validation Behavior Issue

Topics: Validation Application Block
May 13, 2010 at 6:02 AM
Edited May 13, 2010 at 6:03 AM

When adding the validation behavior to my service contract, I get an error when launching my web service.  The error is below along with my code snippet.  If I remove the ValidationBehavior, the error goes away.   I did not think I needed any other setup for the validation block to work with WCF other than the attribute.  My data contracts are tagged with validation block attributes.

[ServiceContract(Namespace = Namespaces.Services, ConfigurationName = "IEmployeeDataService")]
    [ValidationBehavior]
    public interface IEmployeeDataService
    {
       ...Rest of interface

The type ValidatorFactory cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.  I am using unity in my configuration file and within the service code to create dependent objects although I would not expect that to interfere with anything.  I am using default endpoints and File-Less Activation, but I would not expect that to be an issue either.

[InvalidOperationException: The type ValidatorFactory cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.]
   Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.GuardTypeIsNonPrimitive(IBuilderContext context, SelectedConstructor selectedConstructor) +273
   Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodConstructorStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +356
   Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +262
   Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlanCreatorPolicy.CreatePlan(IBuilderContext context, NamedTypeBuildKey buildKey) +187
   Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +221
   Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context) +262
   Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name, IEnumerable`1 resolverOverrides) +377

[ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.ValidatorFactory", name = "(none)".
Exception occurred while: while resolving.
Exception is: InvalidOperationException - The type ValidatorFactory cannot be constructed. You must configure the container to supply this value.
-----------------------------------------------
At the time of the exception, the container was:

Resolving Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation.ValidatorFactory,(none)
]

May 13, 2010 at 6:31 AM

I tried to add the ValidationBehavior attribute but didn't get the exception you're getting.  Is it possible for you to send me a repro project for this?

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@Avanade.com

May 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Edited May 13, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Sure.  Should I send to the entlib.support email?  This also occurs with a simple Wcf service using the default template in Visual Studio 2010.  I am running Windows 7 x64, Visual Studio 2010 and .Net 4.0 application pools.

May 14, 2010 at 12:55 AM
Edited May 14, 2010 at 1:27 AM

I haven't checked the solution file you sent to me as I don't have visual studio 2010 on my machine right now.  However, I would like to ask if your referencing the Validation assembly from GAC (Copy Local = false).  If yes, there's an issue regarding this. Please check this work item in the issue tracker for the workaround - http://entlib.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=26903.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

May 14, 2010 at 2:20 AM
Edited May 14, 2010 at 2:22 AM
The issue was resolved by removing the assemblies from the GAC and copying them local.  Very disapponting that the assemblies cannot be Gac'd.  
May 14, 2010 at 2:27 AM

You can still reference it from GAC, but you need to add the typeRegistrationProvidersConfiguration section in your config as suggested in the work item.

rah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

May 17, 2010 at 2:34 AM

I did not read down to the workaround before my previous post.  Thanks for the reply and the workaround is fine for a solution.