Problem Emailing Exceptions

Topics: Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
May 3, 2010 at 6:00 AM

Hi,

I am useing Ent Lib 5.0 and i am trying to set up emailing of exceptions. I opened the App.config in the Ent Lib Config tool and added a Exception Handling Block. I added a Logging Exception Handler and pointed that to a Logging Category that is set up with a email trace listener. The listener is set to use WindowsCredentials. we are on a domain and all the users are associated with an email account. 

when i intentionally throw an exception like throw new DivideByZeroException(); nothing happens. At the moment i'm not entering any authentication username and password (shouldn't windows credentials not require one?) but i did try my personal mail account and with the UserNameAndPassword option but that still didn't send an email. 

Also the exceptions i am trying to send are System.Exception. Am i missing something? this is what the listeners node looks like with personal info removed

<listeners>
            <add name="Event Log Listener" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.FormattedEventLogTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FormattedEventLogTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                source="Enterprise Library Logging" formatter="Text Formatter"
                log="" machineName="." traceOutputOptions="None" />
            <add name="Email Trace Listener" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.EmailTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.EmailTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                toAddress="user@domain.com.au" fromAddress="user@domain.com.au"
                subjectLineStarter="CPC Exception -" smtpServer="server.domain.com.au"
                formatter="Text Formatter" authenticationMode="WindowsCredentials"
                userName="" password="" traceOutputOptions="LogicalOperationStack, DateTime, Timestamp, ProcessId, ThreadId, Callstack" />
        </listeners>
 <exceptionHandling>
        <exceptionPolicies>
            <add name="Policy">
                <exceptionTypes>
                    <add name="All Exceptions" type="System.Exception, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
                        postHandlingAction="NotifyRethrow">
                        <exceptionHandlers>
                            <add name="Logging Exception Handler" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging.LoggingExceptionHandler, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                                logCategory="Exception" eventId="100" severity="Error" title="Enterprise Library Exception Handling"
                                formatterType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.TextExceptionFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling"
                                priority="0" />
                        </exceptionHandlers>
                    </add>
                    <add name="DivideByZeroException" type="System.DivideByZeroException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
                        postHandlingAction="NotifyRethrow">
                        <exceptionHandlers>
                            <add name="Logging Exception Handler" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging.LoggingExceptionHandler, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                                logCategory="Exception" eventId="100" severity="Error" title="Enterprise Library Exception Handling"
                                formatterType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.TextExceptionFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling"
                                priority="0" />
                        </exceptionHandlers>
                    </add>
                </exceptionTypes>
            </add>
        </exceptionPolicies>
    </exceptionHandling>

May 3, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Ok i finally got it working. I had to patch together bits and peaces of the help to figure it out. I didn't have the right code in my code behind.

May 3, 2010 at 10:04 AM

PS some nice video walk through's of some common scenario's would be helpful for those that are new to these concepts.