EntLib History

Topics: General discussion
Apr 29, 2010 at 8:11 AM
I've checked wikipedia, and the FAQ here. But I don't see the historical origins of EntLib recorded, nor do I see described exactly how it is community maintained. I seem to recall that EntLib was largely the brain-child of Avanade. Confirm? If yes, I don't know when it became community-supported and developed. Finally, can anybody participate in development? What is the criteria for acceptance of code offered for Enterprise Library?
Apr 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM
Edited Apr 29, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Yes, EntLib blocks were originally from ACA.NET which was developed by Avanade.  You might want to check this out - http://scottdensmore.typepad.com/blog/2010/02/enterprise-library-a-history.html

If you want to submit codes, you can do so in the EntLibContrib project here in Codeplex - http://entlibcontrib.codeplex.com/.  This contains collections of extensions for EntLib.  The coordinators on this project are also people from Microsoft so they are the ones who perform reviews on the submitted codes.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Actually, that's not quite correct.

The Entlib core code is written and maintained by Microsoft. No contributions are accepted into our core. However, it is under an open source license, so people are free to take the code and do whatever they want with it. Our customer base, however, seems to overwhelming prefer the "it's from, and only from, Microsoft" model for the code.

EntlibContrib is community driven and run. While we had some initial involvement in setting up the project, at this point no MS team members are involved. In fact, I'm not actually allowed to even look at the contrib code lest my brain get contaminated or something. Gotta love lawyers.

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:21 AM

I see Chris, I thought it's being run by Microsoft since the coordinators includes you and Grigori.  Sorry for the wrong info.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com