Logging to an Oracle Database

Topics: Data Access Application Block, Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
Apr 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I'm considering using EntLib 5.0 for a logging solution in an application that only has a Oracle database backend, but I noticed that the LoggingDatabase.sql script is T-SQL specific.  I did some searching that turned up articles like this one and previous posts in this forum.  As these postings are 2 years old now, I'm just wondering if it is still recommended that we create a custom trace listener if we have to use an Oracle database with the Logging application block?  Or does EntLib 5 now provide better support for logging?

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Since the issue mentioned in the link you posted was the "timestamp" parameter not being handled by the System.Data.OracleClient, I suggest you first try if this is still the case.  Create an oracle stored procedure having a timestamp parameter create the corresponding OracleCommand and execute it.  If it fails with the same error, then you would go for creating a custom trace listener or modify the entlib source code.  The timestamp parameter in EntLib 4.1 and EntLib 5.0 Beta 2 still uses "timestamp".

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.