In Ent lib 2008 open web.config the error is caching storage provide Null Storage does not exist in the current configuration source

Topics: Caching Application Block , General discussion
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:03 PM
In Ent lib 2008 open web.config the error is caching storage provide Null Storage does not exist in the current configuration source
The createdb command in the install file after editing with my server name caching db is created
once the web.config correctly points to the database I get the error that comes from

<cachingConfiguration defaultCacheManager="Cache Manager">
<cacheManagers>
<add expirationPollFrequencyInSeconds="60" maximumElementsInCacheBeforeScavenging="1000" numberToRemoveWhenScavenging="10" backingStoreName="Null Storage" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.CacheManager, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="Cache Manager" />
</cacheManagers>
<backingStores>
<add databaseInstanceName="Connection String" partitionName="Cache Partion" encryptionProviderName="" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Database.DataBackingStore, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.Database, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="Data Cache Storage" />
</backingStores>
</cachingConfiguration>

is the created db missing something or am I missing something in the config file?

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:21 AM

"In Ent lib 2008 open web web.config the error is caching storage provide Null Storage does not exist in the current configuration source"

- Your <backingStores> element should have the Null Storage item in it

<backingStores>
            <add encryptionProviderName="" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.BackingStoreImplementations.NullBackingStore, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
                name="Null Storage" />
</backingStores>

This is actually automatically added if you're using the EntLib Configuration Tool.  If you did use it, you might have accidentally deleted it.

On your other question, I'm not sure I understand it.  What is the createdb command?  Could you please post the exact error message you're getting in each scenario?

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com