New Application Block Suggestion

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Mar 24, 2010 at 8:36 PM

It would be great to have a new application block added to EntLib for using the Sync Framework.  Think about it.

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

We're always on the lookout for ideas of new blocks. However, there are important questions to answer before we commit resources to build them. Since you're the one making the suggestion, I was hoping you'd go first. :-)

What would the block add over using the Sync Framework directly?

I will admit I've never personally used the Sync framework for anything yet, so I don't know the pain points. Are there particular areas that are awkward or error prone, and would an entlib style block help them, or is it more a need for written guidance or sample code?

Just a few things to think about, and thanks for the suggestion!

-Chris

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding.  The Sync Framework would be a good addition to the Enterprise Library for several reasons.  Occasionally connected applications are becoming more common.  The Sync Framework provides a good solution to the problem of when and how to synchronize data to and from a server when a connection is available.  However, there is no clear guidance on what exactly is needed and how to use the various pieces to synchronize the source and destination.  What is needed is a simple way of managing the complexity.  That is where Enterprise Library excels.  There is nothing in the Enterprise Library that couldn’t be done without it.  Simplification is, in my opinion, the value of EntLib.  It allows developers to be productive when they may have little or no experience with the underlying technology.  Even developers experienced in the technology can benefit because the grunt work is handled by the library leaving them with less code to write and debug.  As the demand for occasionally connected applications continues to increase, a Sync Framework application block would be a valuable addition to a developer’s toolbox and EntLib is the perfect place for it to live.

Joe

Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:45 PM
To: jbennett@idevelopwith.net
Subject: Re: New Application Block Suggestion [entlib:207195]

We're always on the lookout for ideas of new blocks. However, there are important questions to answer before we commit resources to build them. Since you're the one making the suggestion, I was hoping you'd go first. :-)

What would the block add over using the Sync Framework directly?

I will admit I've never personally used the Sync framework for anything yet, so I don't know the pain points. Are there particular areas that are awkward or error prone, and would an entlib style block help them, or is it more a need for written guidance or sample code?

Just a few things to think about, and thanks for the suggestion!

-Chris

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (entlib@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email entlib@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com