Logging & WCF

Topics: Logging Application Block
Mar 4, 2010 at 11:01 PM

There is a section in the documentation titled Integrating the Logging Application Block with WCF Applications.  My initial take on this was that this was for tracing activity that occurred within the WCF libraries and was not necessarily related to application level logging which I was attempting.  However, since my WCF project is still not generating log messages in either the event log or on a flat file, I assumed that I needed to integrate my WCF project as stipulated in the documentation.  I did this and began getting detailed messages that were clearly related to internal WCF handling of messages.  My application level messages were not appearing however.  This lead me to believe that my initial understanding was correct.  Can anyone confirm this or am I not understanding this properly.

Mar 5, 2010 at 5:27 AM

Hi,

Yes, that was the same understanding i have about LAB integration with WCF.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM

I'm writing a WCF-based web service using EL 4.1 on a Win7 64-bit machine (targeted for Server 2008 R2).  I can't get the LAB to generate an Event Log message or a flat-file log.  I have created the Event Source, I have run VS in administrator mode, and with or without WCF integration I still get nothing.  When I config LAB for flat-file logging it creates the log file but it contains nothing.  I have verified permissions on the log file and its parent directory and the fact that it is created suggests that there isn't a permissions issue (and the results are the same when running in Administrator mode).  I'm on the verge of gutting the app of EL and implementing Event Logging directly.  I would like to avoid this.  Any suggestions?

Jason Freeman

Mar 8, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Could you try to debug inside the entlib source code by using the PDBs which can be downloaded here -http://entlib.codeplex.com/releases/view/18859.  Here's the instruction on how to use them in case you're not familiar with it - http://entlib.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=39988.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com