NIH not Ent Lib is the problem

Topics: General discussion
Feb 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Hi

A general point - the V5 documentation contains a paragraph on the advantages of using the Enterprise Library.  It is interesting that the team feels this is a point to be made. I think V5 is good, and I have always been a fan of the Enterprise Library, but the problem is the NIH syndrome - not the quality of the library. The new releases get better and better but somehow, it is never good enough for a lot of teams. We need to tackle the problem of lead devs not wanting their teams to use the library.

Jason

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Jason, thanks for your post. We've seen evidence from many teams in various industries that embreaced reusable components and even standardized their development on EntLib. Still, there are lots of others who suffer from the NIH syndrome.

Do you have any suggestions on how to tackle this?

- Grigori

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Grigori,

Thanks for your reply. I think documentation and sample projects are the key to success.

So far, I have seen one book on the library and it would be helpful if your guys could produce some books to support the library – not an API guide, but something which shows how to incorporate the library into a real project and how the library makes future changes manageable.

As for sample projects, I think we need more than the quickstarts. Perhaps some library specific examples on Codeplex – remember Shadowfax?

Hope this helps – I am a real fan of the library and find it frustrating when dealing with lead developers who prefer to create from scratch rather than embrace re-use.

Thanks

Jason

Sent: 10 July 2010 00:07
To: Smallman,AJ,Jason,DGE61 R
Subject: Re: NIH not Ent Lib is the problem [entlib:199729]

Jason, thanks for your post. We've seen evidence from many teams in various industries that embreaced reusable components and even standardized their development on EntLib. Still, there are lots of others who suffer from the NIH syndrome.

Do you have any suggestions on how to tackle this?

- Grigori

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (entlib@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email entlib@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:36 PM
Edited Aug 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Jason, hi

Thanks for your suggestions and for being a fan of EntLib. I agree that learning materials are key. That's why learnability was one of the key themes for V5 release. And that includes not only providing learning materials but also making sure people can learn from our code, tests etc.

In terms of books, have you seen our brand new Developer's Guide? The release candidate is available here  and the final book will be available shortly (http://oreilly.com/catalog/0790145301864/). We will have C# and VB.NET editions, as well as several international versions (in Russian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese).

Also, this time we planned and put a special effort to update the hands-on labs shortly after the main Enterprise Library release. Judging by the number of downloads and the feedback received, they are extremely popular.

Check those out.

Chris and I are working on a series of new webcasts devoted to key scenarios that Enterprise Library 5.0 supports.

Of course, there are other things that we could do and we welcome suggestions. We also rely on the community to share their learning resources, webcasts, stories, sample apps.

Regards,
Grigori