Ent. Lib 3.1 - Database.Executedataset(Long data Query) take long time

Topics: Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core
Dec 21, 2007 at 2:08 PM
Ent. Lib 3.1 - Database.Executedataset(Long data Query) take long time
Description :
Issue is = Taking Long Time To Execute
Which Code = Database.executeDataset( Long Query statement )
How Much time it is taking : 9 second
How many rows are returned : 12000
Database : Oracle 10g
When i am trying to execute a query it takes much more time = 9 second.
When the same code is executed in .net 1.1 with ent library 1.0 = 1 second
when the same code is executed in .net 2.0 with ent library 3.1 = 9 second
when the same code is executed in .net 2.0 with ent library 1.0 = 12 second

Please explian the solution for the time taken.

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:57 PM
What does the query look like? Are you using the same data provider for each test? Which provider? What version of Oracle client do you have installed?
Dec 24, 2007 at 3:44 PM
Have you started a transaction behind the scenes? We came across connection pool issues because we started a transaction and were not diposing of the transaction correctly, this lead to query timeouts. Now that we have improved our dispose methods we have not experienced the same issues
Dec 27, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Greif wrote:
What does the query look like? Are you using the same data provider for each test? Which provider? What version of Oracle client do you have installed?

{quote}
Sudhansu wrote:
The query looks like select x,decode(y),z from table table1,table2,table3 where table1.x = table2.x1;
the version installed on the system = 10g
The version of conenction ( database connection from the .net code ) - oracle 9i
Dec 27, 2007 at 9:14 AM

gav_bar wrote:
Have you started a transaction behind the scenes? We came across connection pool issues because we started a transaction and were not diposing of the transaction correctly, this lead to query timeouts. Now that we have improved our dispose methods we have not experienced the same issues

reply : No - although transaction is there but i have not used transaction in executedataset(command) .
For the same code - there is no issue when the code was in 1.1 (.net )
But when it was converted to 2.0 (.net ) the problem started with taking 10 times more time for the queries (only for very big data return of size 12000 rows +).