Ent Lib 3.1 DAAB when recompiled (without signing) throws build errors

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core, General discussion, Logging Application Block
Dec 19, 2007 at 8:18 AM
Hi All,

I just recompiled the Data block (after making few changes in Database.cs) and re-refrenced in my application. However it's throwing me the follofing build error.
Its strange that this 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.dll was not changed at all. I just recompiled the data.dll and replace it in my application.

I also tried to compile the common and re-reference the compiled dll in data.sln. But it still gives me the same error.

Can anyone help me understand this issue? I have never experienced such problems in earlier versions in Ent Lib am am afraid to say that Ent Lib 3.1 is not use friendly when it come to re-compilation and deploying it in the application again.

The build error is

The type 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Instrumentation.IInstrumentationEventProvider' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. C:\ITASCA\ADF 3.1\\SRC\CommonFramework.Core\Core.EL\FrameworkFlatFileTraceListener.cs 40 18 CommonFramework.Core

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:41 AM

You shouldn't have any problems if you stick to either signed or unsigned assemblies, but in this case you seem to have a mixture of both. Also notice the build failure is happening on external code (ie your code), and most likely you would get different errors when you reference the orignal signed common assembly and when you reference the unsinged version you built.

Either switch to all unsigned EntLib (you seem to be referencing other projects from your code), or change the DAAB projects to reference the signed binaries, build just your unsigned DAAB assembly and reference it from your project.