Ent Lib 3.1 Strong Naming Guidance Package causing Visual Studio to crash

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Caching Application Block , Cryptography Application Block, Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core, Exception Handling Application Block, General discussion, Logging Application Block, Policy Injection Application Block, Pre-release discussions, Security Application Block, Validation Application Block
Dec 6, 2007 at 7:02 AM
I tried to install the "Strong Naming Guidance Package" available with Enterprise Library May 2007.msi.

However, my visual studio is crashing often when I open the EnterpriseLibrary.VSTS.sln. it did opend successfully once and I added the Strong Naming Guidance Package and tried to strong-name the projects as per the instructions in the blog (link you provided below) but it throws exception while the "Execute" is happening or .snk is getting applied to all projects.

I am not sure if anyone has tried using this package but for me it's not working. Visual Studio itself is no crashing if I try to open EnterpriseLibrary.VSTS.sln.

Can anyone help me understand the problem please?

Thanks,
Nilesh
Dec 7, 2007 at 10:43 AM
Hi Nilesh,

Can you please post what kind of exceptions you're getting? I just tried and it worked fine for me.
Also post your OS version, VS SKU, and the version of GAX you've installed.

Regards,
Fernando
Dec 7, 2007 at 3:01 PM
I am using Win XP SP2,
VS 2005 .NET FW ver 2.0.50727 SP1,
GAX 1.0.51104.

I am unable to attaech the exact excpetion but the details block has the following messsage (stack). Error occures when I select the package and try to give a snk for all projects in the solution.

Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.ActionExecutionException: An exception occurred during the binding of reference or execution of recipe StrongNameSolution. Error was: Action StrongNameProjects failed to execute:
Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt..
You can remove the reference to this recipe through the Guidance Package Manager. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at EnvDTE80.Find2.Execute()
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.StrongNamingGuidancePackage.Actions.StrongNameProjectsAction.AddPublicKeyToInternalsVisible(List`1 projectList, String publicKey)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.StrongNamingGuidancePackage.Actions.StrongNameProjectsAction.Execute()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName, Dictionary`2 inputValues)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionExecutionService.Execute(String actionName)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Services.IActionCoordinationService.Run(Dictionary`2 declaredActions, XmlElement coordinationData)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.UndoExecutedActionsAndRethrow(Exception ex)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.ExecuteActions(IDictionaryService readOnlyArguments, IDictionaryService arguments, ITypeResolutionService resolution)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.Recipe.Execute(Boolean allowSuspend)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(String recipe, IAssetReference reference, IDictionary arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.GuidancePackage.Execute(IAssetReference reference)
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.RecipeReference.OnExecute()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.AssetReference.Execute()
at Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.PackageManagement.PackageManager.OnExecuteRecipe(Object sender, EventArgs e)
Dec 10, 2007 at 8:36 PM
Hi Nilesh,

Installing the VSTS 2005 SP1, available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=BB4A75AB-E2D4-4C96-B39D-37BAF6B5B1DC&displaylang=en, will probably help.

Regards,
Fernando