Insert dll in GAC

Topics: Caching Application Block , Data Access Application Block
Dec 5, 2007 at 9:32 AM
Hi all,

I have the following problem: I need to register a dll of the Data Application block in the GAC, but don't know how to do it.
Some people said me just installing the Enterprise Library the Aplication Block's dll are registered in the GAC automatically, but it didn't. Does anyone knows what I need to do?

Thanks,
Weverton Aranha.
Dec 7, 2007 at 10:59 AM
Edited Dec 7, 2007 at 10:59 AM
Hi,

Entlib's assemblies are not installed to the GAC when the MSI is installed. You need to use gacutil.exe http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex0ss12c(VS.80).aspx.

Fernando
Dec 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM
Thanks Fernando,

I've already tried to use the gacutil without succes.
My Scenario is the following:
I downloaded the Microsoft.ApplicationBlock.Data.dll in the MSDN site to help me in the database connection, but i need to register the dll's of the project in the GAC and its impossible without a strong name. I search for this question in the web and some people indicated me the Enterprise library, so I downloaded and installed it, however don't solve my problem, the dll's don't be registered automatically in th GAC.

So, I need to install the dll of any Data application block (the application block I downloaded in the MSDN site or the one who cames together the Entlib package) to the GAC manually, but don't know how to do it
Someone could help me with a step by step or a detailed information/document?

Regards,
Weverton Aranha
Dec 10, 2007 at 6:23 PM
Hi,

If you download EntLib v3.1 you will get binaries signed by Microsoft, and the source code for building the assemblies that you can update to sign with your key.

Fernando
Dec 11, 2007 at 12:33 PM
I inserted the DLLs to the GAC succesfully =)

Thanks Fernando,

Weverton Aranha.
Sep 1, 2009 at 5:18 AM

unable to GAC enterprise lib dll's

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:27 AM

Why?  What operating system are you using? 

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Thanx for your reply and waiting for your help :)

Windows operating system XP.

I am biztalk developer and I have to use Microsoft Enterprise Library 2006 as it is my office assignment. TO use my component in the Biztalk I need to singin my C# project to use in the Biztalk. In my c# component I am using Enterprise Logging section and it is workin fine before singnin the component. When I signin the C# component it raising error "Error    42    Assembly generation failed -- Referenced assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging' does not have a strong name    WindowsApplication1"

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Did you made any changes to the enterprise library source code that's why you're using the unsigned versions of the entlib assemblies?  Coz if not, there is already a strong-named versions of entlib assemblies when you installed it so you should go and have those dlls referenced instead of the unsigned ones.  It's in the bin folder of the entlib installation folder.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:38 AM

No, I havent made any changes on that project, I am using enterprise lib 2006 for VS2005. I havnt found any folder with strong name dll's.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:42 AM

It's usually in C:Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library January 2006\bin.  Is entlib installed in your machine or you just copied those assemblies(from where)?

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:46 AM

Yes there are dll in that folder but when i tried to GAC those i found an Assembly generation failed -- Referenced assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging' does not have a strong name, which i do think that they are not singin

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:53 AM

Ooops, found this blog - http://bloggingabout.net/blogs/erwyn/archive/2005/07/17/8545.aspx.  Sorry, I didn't get to use the 1.1 version, I didn't know the assemblies that ships with it were indeed unsigned versions.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:56 AM

plesae dont say oooop! you know my boss is on my head  and he want me to solve this issue :(

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:08 AM

So what you should do is check out the blog and have your entlib assemblies signed.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:15 AM

Oh Ok and Thanks for your replies. :-